The North Face Venture Parka

men's
Weight 440 g (15.52 oz)
Fabric 40D 85 g / sq m (2.5 oz / sq yd) 100% Nylon Ripstop HyVent® 2.5L EC (50% Non-Petroleum Membrane)

Good parka, great buy. Keeps the rain out, and looks…

Summary

Good parka, great buy. Keeps the rain out, and looks sharp doing it.

Pros

• Compressible
  • Great fit
  • Relatively breathable
  • Functional

The North Face Venture Parka is basically a lightweight, breathable, rain jacket. I could have sworn that when I bought it, the advertisement I read claimed it was both water and windproof, but after some research for writing this review I can't find any support for the windproof claim.

This parka is really sharp looking and yet very durable. I've used it day hiking, backpacking, car camping, and even around town in bad weather. It's one of those pieces of gear that just looks and fits really nice, so it's perfect for almost any occasion.

I like how long the cut is, which is the reason it's called a parka and not a jacket. Mine is an XL and at 5'8" it reaches down to the mid-thigh level. However, I usually cinch it at the bottom so it's closer to my waist. This ability to adjust the length with a drawstring really comes in handy, especially if you're backpacking.

Like I mentioned previously, I've worn this parka a ton, from day trips to multi-day backpacking trips where it's rained every day. When I first purchased it, I had not doubt of its waterproofness. I was rained on 4 days straight in Olympic National Park, and stayed reasonably dry.

The problem is that when you do get moisture under the parka, it's hard to tell whether it's rain seeping through, or just sweat. I am not quite sold on the breathability of this, or any waterproof item. The fact is that if you're hiking in hard rain for hours at a time, your core will warm, you will sweat, and your layers underneath will get damp.

Obviously it is breathable, but in a limited fashion. Almost like a pair of boots. You can spend big money on waterproof, supposedly breathable boots, but it won't stop your feet from sweating, and your socks from getting damp. It's the same with this parka. Of course the armpit zippers really help in that department. When I don this parka usually the first thing I do is unzip the armpits. That way I can have some airflow to help it breath and keep me cool.

The waterproofness is questionable too. Not that I've ever been soaked wearing this jacket, but I have noticed a decrees in performance over the years. Whether that is from washing, heavy use, or both, I'm not sure. Now, after nearly 5 years of use, I will it coat with a waterproofing spray periodically. But most of the time it has kept me dry.

Probably my favorite thing about this jacket is how light and compressible it is. The North Face's web site lists the average weight at 15.5oz and that seems accurate, although truth be told, I've never weighed it. It is super compressible though. You can roll up into a baseball size ball, or just throw in the top of your pack (like I do), and you wont even notice it's there.

Overall a good buy, especially if you don't want to fork over the dough for some of the really expensive hard shells. As long as you take care of it, this The North Face Venture Parka will keep you protected for years.

Keep the lightweight, packable The North FaceMen's Venture Parka stashed in your day pack or car and be ready for unexpected downpours or predicted storms. The highly breathable HyVent DT material utilizes a polyurethane coating to prevent water from permeating through the membrane and the fully taped seams top off the waterproof capabilities. The North Face designed the Venture Parka with an extended back length to ensure full upper body coverage and gave you precise fit adjustment with both waist and hem drawcords.

- Backcountry Outlet refers to the men's version

Similar to their classic Venture Jacket, The North Face Men's Venture Parka has a slightly longer back length but the same waterproof breathable Hyvent fabric to keep you dry. At just over 15-ounces this rain jacket packs down small and stows away in your luggage or day pack easily. Unlike other rain jackets the Venture Parka has long underarm zips so you can let some cool air circulate inside, from the city streets to wet trails.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. The North Face Men's Venture Parka DECENT FEATURES of The North Face Men's Venture Parka Standard fit Waterproof, seam sealed, breathable Attached, fully adjustable hood with hidden draw cord system Center front zip and Velcro closure Brushed chin guard lining Pit-zip vents Two hand pockets Stow able in hand pocket Adjustable Velcro cuff tabs Waist and hem cinch-cord The SPECS Average Weight: 15.52 oz / 440 g Center Back: 31in. Fabric: 40D 85 g/m2 (2.5 oz/yd2) 100% nylon ripstop HyVent 2.5L EC (50% non-petroleum membrane) This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Get maximum protection from the weather with the Venture Parka from The North Face. The HyVent waterproof fabric is eco friendly and will keep you dry even in the worst of downpours. The longer cut of the parka gives you full coverage so you can be active and not worry about any water getting by your shell. Pit zips help you vent and release heat when you are working hard on the trail and when the skies clear up, simply stow it in its own hand pocket and throw it in your pack.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

If you've ever been hiking at high-altitudes during the late afternoon, you immediately know two things when you hear that first crack of thunder; make a beeline to the tree line before it starts lightening, and a downpour is just moments away. The Venture Parka is the ultimate rainwear piece for such occasions, and any other where you may encounter rain. Fully waterproof, this rain jacket has a longer, parka-length fit for greater coverage.

- The North Face refers to the men's version

The North Face Venture Parka

The North Face Venture Parka is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 28, 2013 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.