The North Face Windstopper Jacket
I am an exploration geologist in the mining industry,…
Fabric: Gore Windstopper Fleece
Price Paid: 140 Cdn
I am an exploration geologist in the mining industry, and as such am regularly exposed to a huge variety of weather conditions in the bush. Have thus far used the Windstopper in Tibet, British Columbia and the Yukon, and find it to be perhaps the most useful and flexible outdoor product that I own. Some important points:
1) It adequately sheds water in light precipitation conditions.
2) It is absolutely remarkable in wind. It keeps you warm in moderate to strong winds down to at least 30F, and is very comfortable
3) It has good ventilation points (full pit zips), and appears to breathe well.
4) The fabric is adequately tough, and shoulders and arms are reinforced.
5) The sleeves cinch down well with velcro closures. The drawstrings on the waistline are not all that convenient to close, but are okay as they generally do not require much adjustment after initial tightening
6) ONE POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM. The neckline is a bit wanting, as it is too loose and cannot be cinched down. It admits too much air, although a neck warmer will solve this.
7) MINOR PROBLEM. Is a bit bulky for the pack as it does not fold down very small.
Conclusion: Won't go into the field without it.
this is a great jacket. i have skiied in -50 degree…
Price Paid: $199
this is a great jacket. i have skiied in -50 degree wind chills in this jacket, and my torso was kept nice and warm. the only problem i had is that the collar is a little short which can make the chin a bit cold. but with a neckwarmer, there is nothing to fear. also, the bottom opens up wide, so if skiing in powder or you are one who is prone to fall, tighten the bottom straps
Here's what other sites are saying:
CLOSEOUTS . A great addition to your pack, The North Face Windstopper(R) jacket is ready when nature throws wicked wind your direction. Windstopper(R) Active Shell offers total protection from wind and resists moisture. Zip hand pockets Length: 24- ” Weight: 6 oz. Fabric: Nylon Lining: Micropoly and nylon Care: Machine wash/dry Classic Fit CLOSEOUTS . Indonesia. Size: XS (0) S (2-4) M (6-8) L (10-12) XL (14-16)
- Sierra Trading Post refers to the women's version