Therm-a-Rest Expedition

The Expedition pad offers a good balance between thickness…

The Expedition pad offers a good balance between thickness and weight. I'd rather carry a few more ounces if it will make me more comfortable.

However, I'm mostly a side sleeper. I have found that there's not enough between the ground and my hip with this pad. I end up waking up, rolling over, and going back to sleep several times a night.

If you're a side sleeper, you might want to keep this in mind.

Bought this to replace a foam pad I have used in the…

Bought this to replace a foam pad I have used in the shelters on the AT for a number of years. It really takes the stiff out of the wooden beds in the Smokies. I got the short version for the summer months when comfort and light weight is more important. I will certainly get the longer pad for the winter to insulate my entire sleep system from the snow.

So far so good. It's very comfy, but don't over-inflate.

So far so good. It's very comfy, but don't over-inflate. I've found that if you let it fill up for quite a while, you actually might want to let some of the air out before you sleep, because it may be too firm. I suppose it depends on your preference. Very warm, too. Give it a go.

Therm-a-Rest Expedition

The Expedition has been discontinued.

The Therm-a-Rest Expedition is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 16, 2007 at US Outdoor Store.

If you're looking for a new self-inflating sleeping pad, check out the best reviewed current models.