After returning my Merrell Moab Mid GORE-TEX XCR boots…

After returning my Merrell Moab Mid GORE-TEX XCR boots (reviewed 12.3.10) because of some serious discomfort, I set out looking for a replacement boot that was within the same price range ($90-110) and shared similar characteristics (relatively light, mid-cut, water-resistant, and sneaker-fit).

Timberland's Plymouth Trail Mid fit the bill the best after I had tried on several different boots from the usual makers.  After breaking them in around the office and at home, I put them through their paces this past weekend.

I logged roughly 18 miles in them this past Saturday in moderate but rocky terrain. The traditional brass D-ring eyelets made tightening the laces a simple affair and my ankles were thankful for the added support.  The soles and shank kept jagged rock after jagged rock at bay while the insoles did their part at keeping my feet pain-free.

I've been battling Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot for about a year now so I put a premium on any shoe that can get my through the day pain-free (good-bye Chucks!) and these puppies get a shiny, gold star in this regard.

With my feet in good shape, I hit a local trail for an additional 10 miles and some creeks to cross on Sunday.  The boots kept my feet dry throughout the day and once again carried me back to the trailhead no worse for wear.

So, with all that said, why didn't I give them 5 stars?  Well, because of the terrain I frequently monkey around on, I'm worried that the toe-box is a bit too exposed. I kicked my fair share of rocks this weekend and I felt every one of them.  Stubbing a toe on a rock is never enjoyable, but replacing a pair of boots because the toe-box prematurely wears out is even less so.

Now, the toe-box has not worn out, nor should I assume it will prematurely, but some added protection for the leather up front would have been a welcomed addition.

P120510151149.jpg