Timberland Plymouth Trail Mid

After returning my Merrell Moab Mid GORE-TEX XCR boots…

After returning my Merrell Moab Mid GORE-TEX XCR boots (reviewed 12.3.10) because of some serious discomfort, I set out looking for a replacement boot that was within the same price range ($90-110) and shared similar characteristics (relatively light, mid-cut, water-resistant, and sneaker-fit).

Timberland's Plymouth Trail Mid fit the bill the best after I had tried on several different boots from the usual makers.  After breaking them in around the office and at home, I put them through their paces this past weekend.

I logged roughly 18 miles in them this past Saturday in moderate but rocky terrain. The traditional brass D-ring eyelets made tightening the laces a simple affair and my ankles were thankful for the added support.  The soles and shank kept jagged rock after jagged rock at bay while the insoles did their part at keeping my feet pain-free.

I've been battling Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot for about a year now so I put a premium on any shoe that can get my through the day pain-free (good-bye Chucks!) and these puppies get a shiny, gold star in this regard.

With my feet in good shape, I hit a local trail for an additional 10 miles and some creeks to cross on Sunday.  The boots kept my feet dry throughout the day and once again carried me back to the trailhead no worse for wear.

So, with all that said, why didn't I give them 5 stars?  Well, because of the terrain I frequently monkey around on, I'm worried that the toe-box is a bit too exposed. I kicked my fair share of rocks this weekend and I felt every one of them.  Stubbing a toe on a rock is never enjoyable, but replacing a pair of boots because the toe-box prematurely wears out is even less so.

Now, the toe-box has not worn out, nor should I assume it will prematurely, but some added protection for the leather up front would have been a welcomed addition.

P120510151149.jpg

The Timberland Men's Plymouth Trail GORE-TEX Mid Hiking Boots are perfect for all of your outdoor adventures. Features include premium full-grain leather for durability and a rugged lug outsole for traction on all types of surfaces. The boot rises high around the ankle for optimum support, plus the Gore-Tex membrane guarantees that your feet stay dry and warm. Imported.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version

The Timberland Men's Plymouth Trail GORE-TEX(R) Mid Hiking Boots are perfect for all of your outdoor adventures. Features include premium full-grain leather for durability and a rugged lug outsole for traction on all types of surfaces. The boot rises high around the ankle for optimum support, plus the Gore-Tex(R) membrane guarantees that your feet stay dry and warm. Imported.

- Altrec Outlet refers to the men's version

Built with a waterproof breathable Gore-Tex membrane and an extra-tall upper, the Timberland Plymouth Trail Boots excel at long hikes. And whether you head out with or without a pack, and whether or not you're hiking in dry or wet conditions, the Plymouth Boots provide plenty of support for your ankles. Mesh panels aid ventilation and help keep your feet cool and comfortable as you work up a sweat and gain the ridge.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Timberland Plymouth Trail Mid

The Plymouth Trail Mid has been discontinued.

The Timberland Plymouth Trail Mid is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 2, 2013 at Altrec Outdoors.