Intriguing shoe. The materials appear to be of excellent…

Intriguing shoe.

The materials appear to be of excellent quality and the workmanship appears to be top-notch. No complaints there.

Overall I find them to be a bit too burly/clunky for actual trail running... but pretty decent as trail hiking shoes. They are definitely not like other shoes that I consider serious trail running shoes like Montrail Mountain Masochist, Salomon XA, and others. These are all a bit lighter, more flexible, more nimble, differently designed, than the Treksta Sidewinder. I find the Sidewinders a bit heavier, a bit stiffer, etc. than all of these. Not a bad pair of shoes by any stretch, but I just don't think they're very good for real trail running.

On the plus side:

The sole provides outstanding traction on a wide variety of surfaces. They also claim it will do better on ice due to a set of special lugs. I have not had a chance to test this. But their description of this feature sounds plausible and I have no reason to doubt them.

On the minus side:

Fit for me is not great. I find these to be a bit too wide in the heel and not wide enough in the toe box.

The 'Boa' lacing system. I find it a bit finicky/gimmicky. It has come undone on me (albeit rarely) while tromping through underbrush. And since the fit on me is not great, I really have to crank down on the system to get it tight around my heels (to prevent heel-lift). This causes a really noticeable, uncomfortable pressure point on my foot directly beneath the ratcheting disc. It's a real problem for me.

If these fit your feet better than mine, I think I would recommend them for trail walking. But for me, these come up a bit short; and have been relegated to the back of the closet.

TrekSta Sidewinder

The TrekSta Sidewinder is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

"Lazy. And Damn Good Looking"—Meet Andy, Backpacker, Geographer, Reviewer of the Month

Tepui Expedition Series Gear Bag Review