Ultimate Survival Technologies Base All Weather Tarp

I got this to extend my coverage area outside of my…

Price Paid: Around $40 I think

Summary

I got this to extend my coverage area outside of my Kelty Gunnison 1.1 single person tent when the weather isn't cooperating. Doesn't add much weight to my pack and I have a shelter, thermal protection blanket and one side is reflective if needed for signaling.

Pros

• Packs small and is not too heavy
  • Serves multiple functions
  • Material seems durable

Cons

• Stakes are cheap and likely to bend in hard, rocky dirt

When I got the Kelty Gunnison 1.1 I saw there wasn't really any room in it to "hang out" in inclement weather. So I picked up this tarp to set up over my vestibule to provide some sitting room. On the last backpacking trip I ended up extending it beyond my daughters' tent to protect their gear because the older Eureka they used didn't have a vestibule.  It rained on us a couple of times and it worked well keeping their stuff dry.

It's mainly one of those nice-to-have items, but if pack weight becomes a concern it'll probably be one of the first things I pull out.

If you've owned or used an Ultimate Survival Technologies Base All Weather Tarp, please share your experience.