Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparkie

Ultimate Survival Technologies' Sparkie is a decent…

Summary

Ultimate Survival Technologies' Sparkie is a decent flint-steel emergency backup for starting a fire. At 1 ounce and $8, it's an easy addition to your emergency kit.

Pros

• One-handed operation
  • Usable after becoming wet
  • 1 ounce
  • Price
  • Compact size

Cons

• Heavier than a Bic
  • Requires knowledgable firebuilding skills (see below)

The Sparkie provides an inexpensive, lightweight backup for starting fires.

I use to always carry a small Bic lighter, along with a book of waterproof matches as backup. But "waterproof" is not "Denatured Alcohol-proof," as I recently discovered from a very minor spill. My matches were ruined. So for $8, I picked up the Sparkie and have been satisfied with it.

I have found this to be a pretty good product. The Sparkie does require knowledge for building a fire from tinder (or a product like "Wet Fire"). Flint & Steel produces a spark, and not a flame, like a lighter or matches will. Anyone relying on this for an emergency fire should practice with it first.

The Sparkie is optimal with a hard surface to push on. Mud or soft ground offers less chance of producing a spark. However, the above video demonstrates a way around that for stove lighting.

My kids' homeschool coop taught a survival class last fall. Among other things they learned how to build fires using various techniques. My 11yo daughter rated the Sparkie as harder than matches, but easier than traditional Flint 'n Steel.

Summary:

Decent product. Reasonably priced. Light enough and small enough to justify carrying it as a backup.

Logan Kunz

Thank you for the review. I would like to keep one in my car first aid kit. Where can one of these be purchased?

Hi Logan. You can compare prices below on the Sparkie and click a retailer link if you're interested: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/ultimate-survival-technologies/sparkie/review/29304/#where-to-buy

Logan, I've seen them at Gander Mountain. I believe there is still one up your way. Otherwise, try Bass Pro. You can get 'em online, but you're paying shipping.

Logan Kunz

Thanks guys.

You're welcome. If you get one, let us know in a review how it works out for you.

I keep one of these in my cook kits instead of a lighter…

Summary

I keep one of these in my cook kits instead of a lighter or matches and am never without fire.

Pros

• One handed use
  • Inexpensive
  • Long lasting

Cons

• Doesn't stay closed
  • Small platform

I have two of these that I have been using for 2+ years now and found that they are the perfect pack-size for a stove kit. Sparkie puts out a good spark which can burn for a second or two. It has always worked for me when wet from rain or snow, but I haven't had to use it after being submersed it in water yet.

I have an original Light-My-Fire steel which is now obsolete compared to this because it's quite bulky and much more difficult to strike a good spark.

Two issues:

1. Sparkie doesn't stay closed — ever. This doesn't really bother me because it stays in a confined kit. The steel still works.
  2. You really need a hard surface to push down on to get a good spark, soft ground and pine needles don't work at all, so I throw a stick or rock in with my tinder to give Sparkie some purchase. Unfortunately the end of the steel is rather small and slips off of things easily. When lighting a stove, it can be tricky to push it into the burner or pot support, but with some practice it beats having to remember to bring matches or a lighter.

Designed for use in the most adverse weather conditions, the lightweight and compact SparkieTM fire starter from Ultimate Survival Technologies is a must-have for any serious adventurer.

You only need one hand to use the Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparkie to create a quick, hot spark that lights up your campfire. Inside this sub-one-ounce tool is a tungsten carbide striker bar that, when forced back into the body of the Sparkie, creates a vital, fire-starting spark without the use of fuel or electricity. This is a must-have tool for hunters, hikers, backpackers, and wilderness campers.

CLOSEOUTS . A must-have tool for every outdoor adventurer, Ultimate Survival Technologiesand#39; Sparkie fire starter offers one-handed operation and can start a fire in virtually any weather conditions. Available Colors: BLUE, SAND, GREY, FOREST, YELLOW.

- Sierra Trading Post

Sparkie™, the newest fire starter from Ultimate Survival Technologies, features one-handed operation in a lightweight, compact design. Built on the premise of the original BlastMatch™, Sparkie™ can be operated with one hand and start your fire even in the most adverse weather conditions. Weighing less than one ounce, Sparkie™ is approximately one-third the weight and less than half the volume of its big brother the BlastMatch™. It features a reconfigured striker tab enclosure and spark bar. The compact body has a rubberized grip wrap giving you maximum control and comfort during use. Dimensions: 1.2" x 2.3". Wt: 0.85 oz.

- Vargo Outdoors

Description Of Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparkie Fire StarterUltimate Survival Technologies is a manufacturer of proprietary survival, rescue, life support, and disaster preparedness equipment and survival tools.Sparkie, the newest fire starter from Ultimate Survival Technologies, features one-handed operation in a lightweight, compact design.FeaturesWeight 0.8 ouncesLength 2.3 closed

- US Outdoor Store