Vasque Breeze 2.0 Mid GTX

Good backpacking boot. I had my Vasque Breeze 2.0's…

Price Paid: $136 USD

Summary

Good backpacking boot.

• Easily available
  • Come in wide sizes

Cons

• Heavy
  • Hold water

I had my Vasque Breeze 2.0's for about 6 months. I wore them on a 170-mile hike on the River to River Trail in Southern Illinois in May of 2015, and put about 200 miles on them prior to that hike on trails that were in much better condition. Several days into my River to River walk, the seam failed where the toe kick meets the suede, and when I was done with the hike I returned them.

These boots were very comfortable, and, as others have said, required very little break-in time. I purchased them to use on a mostly unimproved horse trail with long stretches of muck and steep hills that had been eroded by horse and illegal ATV use. The traction and support of the boots was good.

I was glad I wore these instead of running style shoes. Conditions on the hike would have pulled most of the hiking shoes I own now off my feet! I may have pushed them passed their limits, though. I think the hours slogging through the muck may have caused the seams to separate:

By day 2 they were wet through and through, and stayed wet, despite trying my best to dry them out:

That said, I didn't get any blisters, no toe problems, no foot problems at all, and I can't say that for other varieties of hiking footwear I've tried and own. These would be a good winter or fall boot for here in the Midwest if the weather and conditions were fairly dry. Even with the seam failure I'd recommend them for overnight or weekend use, if you're interested in a boot style. The folks at the REI said they hadn't seen this problem with this boot before, and I believe them.

AndyG

I believe this review should be in the Vasque Breeze 2.0 Mid GTX section. I missed the Mid part.

Nice review, Andy. Thanks for sharing it. I also put it under the Mid version for you.

AndyG

Thanks Alicia!

An outstanding boot for the money! Seems to last forever.

Price Paid: $118 on sale

Summary

An outstanding boot for the money! Seems to last forever.

Pros

• Long lasting
  • Custom insole fits well
  • A good looking boot
  • Adequate ankle support

Cons

• Not as well made since production move to China
  • Outsole appears to be weaker than past Vasque boots

In the late 1990s, I purchased a pair of Vasque Sundowner boots. These boots blew me away! I owned them for 11 years, without a single issue. Absolutely amazing. I finally got rid of them because they got ratty looking and the outsoles were completely worn down.

My next pair was a pair of Vasque Breeze GTX 2.0s. I was a little hesitant at first because of the price, but my wife convinced me that after the last Vasques, these would be worth it in the long run. I have been very happy with these boots, and they have served me well since 2007. Although the quality is not the same as when the boots were made in Italy (some of the decorative stitching came loose within the first year), they are still an outstanding boot for the casual to moderate hiker, and quite comfortable.

They may not be up to the standards of an Asolo, but they also don't cost nearly as much! Overall a great boot for the money! If you're looking for a decent boot, check these out.

Welcome to Trailspace, Brian! Where do you like hike in your Vasques? I'd love to see some pics of your boots in your review.

I love these boots for several reasons. The #1 reason…

Summary

I love these boots for several reasons. The #1 reason would have to be the ankle support. The #2 would have to be the suction like grip on the luggy soles.

Pros

• Killer ankle support
  • Great luggy grip in the soles
  • Excellent cushion

Cons

• Seems to run about half a size small

20150726_083637.jpg

Let me start off by saying that these are the first hikers I've purchased since I broke my ankle in February '15. Anyone out there that has had the unfortunate experience of a severe ankle injury knows... once you heal, ankle support is a huge deal. And the support in these boots is excellent.

I broke three bones, and tore a tendon on top of it. So, even the occasional small rock that angles my foot to the slightest degree would stop me in my tracks. But the support I get with these dogs buffers that more so than any shoes I currently wear.

If that's not the perfect reason to give em shot, you gotta dig the lugs on these grippy boots. Especially for those of us that love to rock scramble in the canyon lands. Wear did Vasque come up with these soles? Spiderman? They grip like the kraken.

Although I will say that they run like a half size small. And though most of my trips in these have been on the arid dry side out west; I did do a bit of rock hopping across Sipsey River. And they did take a dunk in the water. And the Goretex lived up to expectations. As it should.

Overall, I'd have to say they are by far my favorite hikers to date. Way to go, Vasque!

Thanks for sharing your first gear review with us, Shamrockdude. I'm glad you're back to hiking after your ankle injury and that the Vasques are working out for support.

Unsurpassed comfort and quality. That's what I look…

Summary

Unsurpassed comfort and quality. That's what I look for in a serious backpacking boot and Vasque delivers. They are so comfortable I wear them for my 30 min. training hill climbs barefoot! Without even a rub.

With my old boots, on that same daily hill climb when it's wet, I would be slipping all over the place. With my new Vasque Breeze boots I go up at almost full speed. And they're light as a breeze! Best for medium to moderate (40 lbs.) backpacking on any trails.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Quality
  • Workmanship

image.jpg

Wow. I fell in love with this boot the first time I wore them. I wasn't used to such a lively boot — it felt like I had springs strapped on. They are so technical and yet so well crafted — and light! My first hill climb they provided great traction even though the surface was wet (springtime Oregon coast rain!). They kept my feet dry in the heaviest rain and they felt exactly the same going downhill as they did going up - and they weren't even cinched up.

They are so comfortable I can wear them barefoot (at least for half an hour). I have fat pad atrophy in my feet so I thought I would need sport gel insoles. Naah! These insoles are already jellin'.

I wore them for a ten-mile hike through Silver Falls State Park. So comfortable I didn't even think about them. Rain, waterfall mist and puddles, forget it. They kept my feet nice and dry all day. I purposely left my sticks at home to see if I would come back with "hammer toe". No worries. These boots fit like a glove, going uphill or down. All this at only 2 lb. 9 oz.!

The engineering is spectacular. The combination of Gore-tex liners and Vibram soles is just the start. The nubuck leather and the nylon mesh are the real marriage. The tongue is padded to protect you from the lacing pressure. The footbeds and mid-soles are built to absorb shock and return energy back to your feet. Embedded plastic plates provide stability. Man they sure have learned a lot about making boots at Vasque.

What else can I say. These boots are headed for Yosemite!

A comfortable, good looking, waterproof boot that…

Summary

A comfortable, good looking, waterproof boot that is great to wear day in and day out. Did I mention well priced? It's come a ways from its 1.0 version but has continually been just as comfortable. I would recommend wearing thick socks because the boot's main flaw is no padding in the tongue which is slightly bothersome. Additionally the new laces on this version magically slide apart and unless double knotted will come undone. Overall a good boot for the money. [Please read detailed review for more information].

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Comfotrable
  • Apperance

Cons

• No padding in shoe's tongue
  • Laces come undone unless double knotted

I was originally introduced to the Vasque Men's Breeze '1.0' version, and after a 15 months of daily use the boot had significantly worn away; including failure to the Gortex lining due to repetitive motion at certain points which overtime pulled and ultimately failed the stitching. Additionally the rubber sole was wearing away and failed to stay intact with the main frame of the boot. Overall though, I enjoyed the 1.0 version so an upgrade to the Vasque Men's Breeze 2.0 Mid GTX was a must.

First off, appearance... This boot looks much better than its original go around. The darker shades make this boot blend in better with any clothing and give it a more sophisticated look. I wasn't as embarrassed to wear this around despite whether I was on the trail or in the grocery store.

Comfort, 9 out of 10. Like the shoe before, the level of comfort is excellent. Firm but comfortable support even after wearing up to 12 hours a day. No pinch points or blisters from this boot. Good support for the ankle as well.

My only critique would be the 2.0 version has made the 'tongue' of the shoe with nothing more than a flimsy piece of cloth. I preferred the older boot that actually filled the tongue with some material to give it cushioning when you laced up tightly. It sometimes feels like there is nothing between the laces and the front of my ankle...

Additionally, the smooth laces that come with this boot come undone unless you double knot them. Frustrating if you're in a rush or have a pack on and forgot to double knot them in the morning.

Overall a good looking, comfortable, fair priced boot I will continue to wear unless a higher end boot ends up going on sale.