Vibram FiveFingers Classic

Hooked from day 1! They reminded me of why I love…

Summary

Hooked from day 1! They reminded me of why I love to run, to feel that childlike excitement was a paradigm shift of what I thought running was.

Pros

• Easy to keep proper form
  • Great for trengthening feet and legs
  • Run with fewer injuries
  • Run longer, happier miles

Cons

• I wear them out too fast.

Honestly from the very moment I knew of the Five Fingers existence I immediately acquired a pair and set out for a 16-mile run. Previous to this day I had only ever ran about 3 miles at a time, and quite sporadically at that. Well, that was three years ago and today I'm running 100k and 50 mile trail ultras, and being fairly competitive.

I absolutely love Vibram FiveFinger shoes and think every one could benefit from wearing them. I will forever be an advocate and user of the FiveFinger shoes.

KiwiKlimber

Thanks for the review Ryan. I love the excitement you have for these! I've known lots of folks who love the Five Fingers but I've never owned a pair myself. However, I do have a couple of friends who have further complicated their already injured lower extremities by wearing these. One friend had a persistent knee issue, while the other had pretty bad feet problems. They both purchased these shoes after being told that they would heal or at least alleviate the pain from their the ailments. I'm not saying it was the products fault that their conditions worsened, and I'm not dissing the product (again, I've never owned a pair) but I would caution you when saying "everyone could benefit from wearing them." My two friends would have to disagree with you.

Hi Ryan, thanks for joining Trailspace and sharing your FF review. I put it under the Classic model, but if your review is for a different model let us know in a comment and we'll make sure it's in the right spot for you. Thanks!

Don't have anything to compare em to. But I really…

Price Paid: $35 @ Academy Sports

Summary

Don't have anything to compare em to. But I really dig these things. We call em skelator shoes down here.

Pros

• Cheap
  • Compfortable
  • Good creek shoes

Cons

• They get funky after a day or two

I use em as creek shoes. Most of our creeks here in southern MS are covered with a gravel bottom. And trust me, unless you're a barefoot bush hippy... it will eat your feet alive. These have more than come in handy along the creeks and rivers.

I've only had these for a month, but I love them.

I've only had these for a month, but I love them.

I have had chronic knee pain for years, and a doctor of physical therapy told me there was nothing more she could do, and I would be in pain the rest of my life.

After four weeks, while I still have pain, it is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced, and I've actually ran almost a half mile on the treadmill in these. That doesn't sound like much, but I hadn't run a step in years due to the knee pain. I work out in them, walk in them, and wear them every opportunity I can (they aren't right for dressing up).

Yes, they take some getting used to, and no, you can't just "throw them on." And you really need to be measured by someone who knows what they are doing to make sure you get a good fit. But they are worth the price of admission.

They are comfortable, tough, and easy to maintain. And for me, they have been a Godsend. No BS, just a good shoe.

I just got my Five Toe Classic's from REI and they…

Materials: Vibram soles with a nylon(?) upper
Use: Daily walking, running and leisure wear.
Break-in Period: none
Weight: maybe a half pound total?
Price Paid: $78 w/tax REI

I just got my Five Toe Classic's from REI and they are great. I started wearing them immediately as I usually wear sandals all the time. My feet took to them like water and ducks. I think they are the best thing I have ever worn on my feet. I often forgot I had them on. My feet after wearing them about 5 hours today feel stronger already. The company says they will strengthen the foot and ankle muscles.

I recommend them to anyone who has thought about them or are looking for an alternative to regular sandals!

I love these crazy looking shoes! I have worn them…

I love these crazy looking shoes! I have worn them while hiking Squaw Peak and Also Camelback Mnt in Phoenix AZ. My only recommendation is that you take it easy when you're going up and coming down the Mnt. FiveFingers only have a little rubber padding but not enough to be hiking up the mnt as fast as you can.

Sizing is very tricky so make sure you actually go try on a pair. I know that you have the option to buy the Five Fingers with straps if it was up to me I totally would have done that. Swimming doesnt work out that well because they tend to slip off in water. If you are into water sports then Def get the Five Fingers with the strap.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All FiveFingers Classic versions

In addition to the 5 men's reviews above, there is 1 review for another version of the FiveFingers Classic. Read all reviews »

Vibram Men's FiveFingers Classic

The Vibram Men's FiveFingers Classic is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 13, 2014 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new barefoot/minimal shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.