#1276 Sierra soles, nitrile compound, made in MA,…

Source: I installed it over my Spira shoes myself.

Summary

#1276 Sierra soles, nitrile compound, made in MA, USA. I put these on my everyday walking shoes. Traction is good in snow and wet surfaces. Very durable soles.

Pros

• Long wearing. Nitrile is awesome for durability.
  • Good traction in various weather conditions

Cons

• Heavier, denser in weight

Been using it for a year or so in my everyday shoes. Have not gone hiking in the mountains with these. I have used it over snow, ice, wet pavements. Durability and traction is excellent.

Of course, concerning ice, no soles are effective unless you have metal spikes or chains incorporated in it to break the ice.

Welcome to TS, Cobbler. I assume by your username that putting these soles on shoes is not something an "Everyday Joe" could do. I am wondering about that price, given they are more expensive than many shoes already sporting vibrams.

Welcome to Trailspace, Cobbler! I'm intrigued by your review. Can you show some pictures of the end result (or even process if you have them).

Don't get a shoes without these! These are by far…

Summary

Don't get a shoes without these!

• Dries quickly
  • Supportive

These are by far the best soles you can buy. I would never not have them on my hiking shoe. I have never had a blister with them or anything. They will leave your foot feeling great after a long day of hiking!

God awful, and a waste of money. Never again! I bought…

Price Paid: GBP 80

Summary

God awful, and a waste of money. Never again!

Pros

• None at all.

Cons

• No grip,
  • short lasting

I bought a pair of North Face walking boots 1 year ago with these Vibram soles and Goretex uppers for GBP 80. Fine, and comfortable when dry, but in the wet, hopeless.

I walk here on Dartmoor where we have quite a lot of cattle grids, and I'd have been safer on sheet ice. These soles ought to carry a health warning.

As for the uppers,well my feet get wet (funny kind of Goretex). The problem is that too much of this kit is being churned out in the Far East where it's cheap to produce with the inevitable result. It's tat.

I'm now back to my old trusty 10 yrs old European-made Berghaus.

Vibrams? YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

After decades of wearing Vibram soles for safety at…

Price Paid: $167 On sale

After decades of wearing Vibram soles for safety at work. A new pair of workboots with Vibram soles, no longer grip slick surfaces. What used to be the best safety soles I could find, are now DANGEROUS! Are they now made in China also? I'd appreciate a REFUND!

Vibram might last forever, but they are very slick…

Vibram might last forever, but they are very slick on rocks, both dry and wet. I can't understand Vibram and there material. What's good if your sole wears a lot time if the boot doesn't. To me it doesn't matter how long it wears if it ruins the hiking experience and is actually unsafe for the public.

Vibram soles slip on wet surfaces and come away from…

Summary

Vibram soles slip on wet surfaces and come away from the shoe in less than a year to allow water into the shoe/boot... Goretex or not.

Pros

• Cheap to manufacture in China

Cons

• No traction on wet sufaces.
  • Sole comes away from shoe, not waterproof

My first experience with the Vibram sole was when I bought Merrell hiking shoes. The shoes felt very comfortable and I was happy until I slipped over on damp sandstone rocks while hiking. Not only are they dangerous in the wet but my 100% waterproof shoes became water logged as the soles separated from the shoes after about 6 months of normal wear.

I bought another pair of Merrells thinking I was just unlucky with the first, but sure enough soon found exactly the same thing... the glue separating the Vibram sole from the shoe. I now have Teva (no Vibram sole) and they are perfectly dry and non-slip in all conditions and 100% waterproof two years later.

I heard some Teva boots/shoes are putting Vibram soles on them now... for god's sake! Please don't use these cheap inferior soles on a quality boot. If it's not broken don't try and fix it.

Thanks for the review, Harry. I've been backpacking with Vibram soles for more than 10 years, and I've never experienced this provkem

"problem." The Vibram soles on Merrells are less agressive than on other shoes. The Vibrams on my Patagonia Drifter AC have a meaty tread that has never slipped on me in the wettest conditions.

Jake W

Also, if the sole detached from the shoe that would be the manufacturing of the shoe (so in this case Merrells responsibility) that defected, not the company that makes the sole. I would write a review of your Merrill shoes to explain your experiences.

Welcome to Trailspace, Harry. I'm sorry to hear you had such disappointing experiences with your Merrell/Vibram boots. Like Jake mentioned, this sounds like an issue for Merrell and its footwear construction. Did you contact them for any customer service? Also, for anyone wondering, Vibram makes a number of outsoles with different properties.