Westcomb Mirage Jacket

A wee bit on the heavy side, but the best hardshell…

Price Paid: 350$

Summary

A wee bit on the heavy side, but the best hardshell I had in my whole life.

Pros

• eVent material is absolutely great

Cons

• A bit heavier and stiffer than an Arc'teryx

I really don't know what is wrong with the previous reviewer. I had the Mirage Jacket for about two years now. I used it for mountain climbing, skiing, and for my work as a cameraman. I used this jacket in pouring rain, in freezing temperatures, in hot and moist temperatures, while doing strenuous exercise, and for sleeping on the floor and still can't find much fault with it.

GoreTex jackets often feel uncomfortably moist on the inside. This is because GoreTex material needs to transform the vapor into water before it can transport it thru the membrane. The eVent material transports the vapor directly, which means that you will always feel comfortably dry in this jacket. This is a very important advance from any of the aging GoreTex fabrics in my opinion. Once you tried an eVent jacket it's hard to go back to GoreTex.

As for the jacket, one has to try it to see if he likes it. It is extremely sturdy and you can use it to protect yourself from the branches while off skiing. You don't have to worry to rip it... it won't. In may ways it's the opposite of an Arc'teryx or Mammut jacket, of which I love the thinness and lightness but always feel a bit vulnerable.

This is a serious jacket for peoples that don't mind an additional 50g for something that will give them perfect comfort... for a lifetime.

I have done plenty of outdoor activity in harsh conditions…

I have done plenty of outdoor activity in harsh conditions and the Westcomb Mirage was great every time. I recommend this jacket for anyone.

I'm an outdoor active type of guy (ultras, cycling,…

Fabric: eVent
Fill: shell

I'm an outdoor active type of guy (ultras, cycling, skiing, etc.) that is generally unaffected by weather - assuming planning and competent gear. I spent a long time doing research and focused on the eVent fabric as the current technological top-dog. Price was not an issue, I just wanted the best I could get.

Sorting through the manufacturers I chose the Westcomb version in the Mirage. I liked the Mirage styling for its overall purpose, though some features are overkill (i.e., the curved main zipper is gimmicky, doesn't hold together under athletic movements, and is down-right annoying). My low rating is more for the fabric than the jacket itself - though I wouldn't buy it again even if it had Gore-Tex.

The eVent fabric FAILED TO PERFORM in phenomenal fashion. I've had it a year now and it has never shed rain, and overall has performed about as well in moisture protection and venting as my retired 12-year-old North Face Mountain Lite (now my dog park jacket).

My advice is to stick with Gore-Tex. I think there is a good reason the major manufacturers have not picked up eVent fabric, and it is not because it is expensive. It just does not work in the real world in the manner they expected in the lab.

Visit Westcomb's Mirage Jacket page.

The Westcomb Mirage Jacket is a eVent waterproof jacket with pit zips and an adjustable waist gaiter. This jacket was designed with every winter occasion in mind, all your friends will agree, it's the coolest jacket on Earth.

- CampSaver.com

Free Shipping. Westcomb Men's Mirage Jacket DECENT FEATURES of the Westcomb Men's Mirage Jacket Attached helmet compatible hood Adjustable waist system High collar with velour-lined chin-guard Moulded cuff tabs with elasticized closure Vent zippers Laminated internal media pocket 1 Napoleon DRiPocket YKK AquaGuard 2 Hand pockets The SPECS of the Westcomb Men's Mirage Jacket Weight: 22 oz / 615 g 560 NST eVent 20 SPI Micro Seam Tape Laminated cuff and hem Articulated elbows

Hardcore weather calls for hardcore protection, and the Mirage Jacket from Westcomb will keep you dry and protected in the gnarliest winter weather. Wear it by itself on wet or warm days, and layer it over an insulating mid-layer when the temperature drops.

The Westcomb Mirage Jacket is a perfect all-mountain piece engineered piece for any on-or-off mountain activities requiring protection from harsh conditions. Offset center front zipper ensures obstruction-free comfort. Westcomb Mirage Jacket Features: Adjustable powder skirt with gripper elastic Adjustable waist system Articulated elbows Contoured Velcro cuff Laminated forearm pocket Narrow seam tape construction Reinforced high-impact areas Velour chin guard YKK T4 zippers Materials: Fabric: 560NST eVent (ePTFE) Westcomb Mirage Jacket Features (Closeout): Adjustable powder skirt with gripper elastic Adjustable waist system Articulated elbows Contoured Velcro cuff Laminated forearm pocket Laminated Napoleon pocket Narrow seam tape construction Reinforced high-impact areas Velour chin guard Ykk T4 zippers Materials (Closeout): Fabric: 560NST eVent (ePTFE) 460NR eVent (ePTFE)

- OMCgear

Westcomb Men's Mirage Jacket

The Westcomb Men's Mirage Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 16, 2014 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.