Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite

Nice lightweight kayak. Roomy large cockpit. Defect…

Summary

Nice lightweight kayak. Roomy large cockpit. Defect in manufacturing, screws at handles cause cracking and eventual breakage of material.

Pros

• Great tracking
  • Comfortable seat
  • Roomy with lots of storage space

Cons

• Screws crack material from handles
  • Flimsy material
  • Scratches easily

At first I loved this kayak, but after just a few uses, I noticed the handles starting to crack around the screw. This was under warranty, I've been waiting for over three months for a replacement with no delivery date yet to be seen. Now I have a hole in my kayak and can not use it.

The material is very flimsy. If you fall out of the kayak and try to climb back up, the kayak caves in but bounces back. Very delicate material scratches easily.

On the positive side, it tracks wonderfully and is lightweight.

Wilderness Systems does not supply the Storage Console with this model so you can purchase that for convenience of storage right in front of you, but it obviously adds to the weight of the kayak, and will cost you another $75.

Pricetag is too high and does not stand up to Wilderness Systems' good name.

1-2016-07-05-12-18-02.jpg
1-IMG_5844.jpg

Welcome to Trailspace, Jeri. Thanks for telling us how your kayak has worked out. Got ant pictures of the cracking you could show others in your review?

Welcome, Jeri. I agree with Alicia that I would love to see some pics.

Jeri Markinson

I've added 2 photo's. One of the cracking at the screws and one of the hole that finally broke free on one of the screws. The splits where at all four screws.

Thanks for adding those, Jeri. That must be very disappointing about your kayak.

Ugh! If the manufacturer doesn't honor the warranty, you can probably fix it with fiberglass resin.

Jeri Markinson

The manufacturer states they are redesigning the kayak and I'm supposedly waiting for the new ones to be released. I keep asking what they are doing to fix it and they won't tell me or if there will be any other changes. Very expensive and frustrating problem. Waiting since early July.

Good luck! If/when you get a new kayak, I'd be curious to hear an update on its durability.

Very comfortable kayak! Great for beginners and novice…

Summary

Very comfortable kayak! Great for beginners and novice kayakers. It tracks extremely well, but I would not recommend it for small streams or rough water.

Pros

• Exceptional tracking
  • Amazing storage space
  • Very comfortable

Cons

• Doesn't turn swiftly

I bought this kayak in July of 2012 because I blew out my lower back and had to have surgery in late May, so I needed a lighter kayak than the Old Town Vapor that I owned. Although there are lighter weight kayaks than this at 39lbs., this suits my needs perfectly.

I have paddled lakes in the ADK's and Finger Lakes, and on the canal in upstate N.Y. So far I LOVE this kayak! It has handled very well in 2-3ft waves, and on quiet water it glides effortlessly. Turning does take some effort because it tracks so well. I have done several kayak camping trips in the ADK's, and can easily fit all my gear in and on this boat. I even tow my dog behind me in his Sevylor raft.

As far as durabilty, I'm pretty rough on my gear, even dropping the kayak on several occasions off of the rack on the top of my Wrangler and it has held up well, with only some scratches on the bottom. It is very stable, even full of gear, towing a full raft, and I am not a lightweight at 230lbs! The rear storage compartment is unbeatable! Not only would I guarantee your stuff would stay dry, I can't believe how much you can put in there! The cockpit is also quite comfortably roomy. I bought the dashboard to go with this because I'm a photographer, and it has worked out great!

I would highly recommend this kayak, and the Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company in Old Forge, N.Y., where I buy all my kayaks.
DSC_0204.jpg

Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite

$1,189.00

The Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 17, 2016 at REI.

If you're looking for a new recreational kayak, check out the best reviewed current models.

Vargo Alcohol Fuel Bottle Review