Snowshoes for Steep Terrain

7:54 p.m. on December 21, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Does anybody have an idea about snowshoes that best handle steep climbing? I'm buying new shoes to replace 36" Tubbs - I got smaller and I don't need them so big anymore. I've always found downhill to be kinda hard with any snowshoes.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

4:08 p.m. on December 23, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Does anybody have an idea about snowshoes that best handle steep climbing? I'm buying new shoes to replace 36" Tubbs - I got smaller and I don't need them so big anymore.

Check out the MSR plastic snowshoes. They have serious
traction cleats; even longitudinal cleats that are great on side slopes. Their most expensive ones (about $150) even have heel lifts to make the uphill climbs more comfortable.

Paul

6:41 a.m. on December 25, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

Quote:

Does anybody have an idea about snowshoes that best handle steep climbing? I'm buying new shoes to replace 36" Tubbs - I got smaller and I don't need them so big anymore.

Check out the MSR plastic snowshoes. They have serious
traction cleats; even longitudinal cleats that are great on side slopes. Their most expensive ones (about $150) even have heel lifts to make the uphill climbs more comfortable.

Paul

MSR plastic are the best. After using them on W44 in th ADKs
I agree. Be sure to send for extra belts.

Liz

10:45 a.m. on December 26, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I have a pair of Crescent Moon Permagrin 10's. They are very nice shoes, and do rather well in the backcountry and for breaking new trail. A lot of info I have read suggests that the Tubb's Mountain series seems to be the top-of-the-pick when it comes to a good shoe for climbing steeper slopes, however. Check out "www.thesnowleopard.com" for a good selection of shoes; they are the retailer where I ordered my Crescent Moons (by the way, I have no affiliation with Crescent Moon, or The Snow Leopard; just a satisfied customer with a very satisfying product). Good luck.......

Quote:

Does anybody have an idea about snowshoes that best handle steep climbing? I'm buying new shoes to replace 36" Tubbs - I got smaller and I don't need them so big anymore. I've always found downhill to be kinda hard with any snowshoes.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

6:23 p.m. on December 26, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

I've got MSR's

Thanks for all of the info & comments. Wifey bought me MSR Denali's - Very Nice !!! I took 'em out today and climbed Esther, they're great. Admittedly, there was not tons of snow, but the terrain was handled very easily by the shoes.
Thanks again....

7:56 a.m. on January 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Warren Stevens

I've used the MSR's for about 4-5 years now. Good shoes, but one problem, they're fragile. The metal traction bars that run the length of the shoe are riveted. My pair after several trip started to shear off the rivets, likely due to flexing of the shoe. My partners pair began to show the same problem and I've heard of a similiar report from an AMC trip leader. MSR has been excellent as always in replacing the shoes, but I'm looking ot replace mine with Sherpas. A failure of this sort isa real pain.

Otherwise excellent shoes. Good traction and very versitile. Removable tail good for those mixed bushwack/trail hikes. Just inspect them after each use and be prepared with a repair kit. I asked MSR for the screws used on the rear of the traction bars when I sent mine in but didnt get any. A trip to a hardware store should yield some decent replacement screws for when the rivets blow. Good thing is thats theres a lot of these rivets the chance of all them blowing at once is low. Just watch them.

7:11 a.m. on January 5, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Hhhmmm - Good Advice Warren

Hey, That's a good call Warren. I'll keep a good eye on 'em.

Thanks,
AlpineSummit

June 25, 2018
Quick Reply