sending backpack on plane

9:02 p.m. on June 14, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I am flying on a commercial plane for this trip and was looking for any good ideas on how to send my pack through as luggage. I use an external pack. Should I just pack it normal and put it in another bag? Any thoughts? What has worked the best for anyone out there?
Thanks.

10:42 p.m. on June 14, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

When my husband and I fly we wrap our packs (external frame) in a Pacsafe security system. We bought ours at REI but Campmor and other outfitters have them as well. It is a mesh of braided metal that fits over the pack and locks to keep things secure. Nothing falls out, no one gets in. The airline will also put your pack into a large plastic bag so that it doesn't hang up somewhere on something. No worries so it works for us.

10:49 a.m. on June 15, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Bob Brainard

What I did was to purchase the largest "duffel" bag I could get. 5 years ago it was a Lowe Alpine Cordura Bag with shoulder straps that zipped into a pocket, zippers with loops for locking, etc. I have used it for packs, tents, and can stuff boots in as well. I just pack it solid, and check the bag.

I think I paid $80 to $100, but when I added all my eqipment costs, I realized that it was nothing and amounted to very good insurrance.

11:57 a.m. on June 18, 2001 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
409 forum posts
External bag...

Quote:

I am flying on a commercial plane for this trip and was looking for any good ideas on how to send my pack through as luggage. I use an external pack. Should I just pack it normal and put it in another bag? Any thoughts? What has worked the best for anyone out there?
Thanks.

I pack mine in an external bag. Sometimes you can find mucho cheaper models at local tent or awning manufactures (as in AAA tent and awning aka Kirkhams here in SLC).

I pad my pack by wrappin' it in my foam sleepin' pad and wrap all the pointy objects in clothes and stash them deep in the pack.

Brian in SLC

8:53 p.m. on June 18, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Thanks everyone for the input.

11:56 p.m. on June 23, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. jd

Here's the cheapest and best way I've ever used... and I've used it a lot. Buy a box of the plastic bags that are specifically for trash compactors. These are very thick and very tough. Put one over the top of your bag and then one over the bottom. They should meet. Use duct tape to thoroughly tape the seam where the bags join. Then use the duct tape to tape down folds that might stick out. You wind up with a big jelly bean, no loose ends, and though you may doubt it, this thing is STRONG. Biggest problem is carting it through the airport from the parking lot. Rig up some kind of sling to lift it and carry it with. Me, I'm big enough to balance it up on my shoulder, but the bag is kind of slippery, which is part of the reason it never gets damaged. It's hard to mess up something with no corners. Use a laundry marker to ID it as yours. The airlines have no problem with it, at least Delta, Continental, and US Airways haven't.

January 17, 2019
Quick Reply