Fire Tower Hikes

4:09 p.m. on June 29, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to plan a backcountry trip hiking between fire lookout towers in either Washington or Oregon. I've found a lot of single hikes in my research (hike to this tower or that tower). I'd really like to plan a trip hiking between a few of them. Has anyone done a trip like this or know of a good place to start planning??

6:20 p.m. on June 30, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

A lot of fire towers are gone and I've found the ones still in existance are pretty far apart, enough so that it would be quite a few miles in between. I've been to several over the years primarily in Oregon and enjoyed the remoteness and views they have to offer. Some are for rent and I 've done that a couple of times. Some have journals and people have recorded some interesting events while staying there.

There's a book titled "How to rent a fire lookout in the Pacific Northwest"  which you can find on Amazon. There's quite a bit of information on tower lookouts in Washington and Oregon. My 1996 copy has about 43 lookouts listed but the 2005 edition has about 61.

September 20, 2019
Quick Reply