altitude sickness

5:58 a.m. on June 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Any over the counter meds that you to fight altitude sickness. Dont want to use viarga.

12:28 p.m. on June 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Steve
Re: Diamox- not OTC though, NM

Quote:

Any over the counter meds that you to fight altitude sickness. Dont want to use viarga.

1:34 p.m. on June 5, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Ginkgo

Some climbers claim that taking Ginkgo Biloga regularly long before the trip helps acclimatisation.

11:44 a.m. on June 7, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

IMHO and experience good acclimatization is much much better than trying to compensate with pills... if you need meds (safe thing to bring anyway) go with very small dosage of Diamox (not OTC but easy enough to get) but beware the side effects !

F

7:57 p.m. on July 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Ginkgo works very well, I make 4-5 trips from Kansas to Colorado every year and taking Ginko has really helped me to acclimatize. I start taking it 4-5 days before I leave and continue taking it for the first 4-5 days in the mountains. I also drink lots and lots of water the week before I leave and continue while I'm out there.

Just my two cents

11:43 a.m. on July 17, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Ken Klabon

Quote:

Quote:

Ginkgo works very well, I make 4-5 trips from Kansas to Colorado every year and taking Ginko has really helped me to acclimatize. I start taking it 4-5 days before I leave and continue taking it for the first 4-5 days in the mountains. I also drink lots and lots of water the week before I leave and continue while I'm out there.

Just my two cents

FYI try to get to altitude several days prior to exerting ones self, drink at least 1 gallon of water per day, stay away from ALL alcohol, take alsa selser. I lived at altitude for 20 years. If you get sick, the remedy is get back down to appx 5000 or lower.
Kenk

August 17, 2018
Quick Reply