All Time Favorite Camping Recipes!

10:39 a.m. on November 12, 2018 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

How’s it going everyone, we’re a small product development company based in Providence, RI. I've been lurking on this forum for a long time, and found such great advice from everyone who contributes. I'm reaching out to get some help on a project I think some in this community might find interesting. 

We’re working on a travel cutting board for camping, taking out on the boat, or just in your backyard. We’re working on a campfire cookbook to go with the cutting board. The idea is to be able to bring the ingredients in a brown paper bag (or something biodegradable) in an attempt to stop so much packaging waste from prepackaged, freeze dried, and dehydrated food being brought/left outdoors. While I've seen a lot of great recipes on this forum that fit this description already, I wanted to see if a post would stir up some more! 

We’re a small company it’s just my partner and I, we’d really appreciate everyones advice! I’ve attached a photo of our prototype to give some reference.

Thanks,
Corwin

Boards61_1.jpg

9:19 p.m. on November 13, 2018 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,402 forum posts

The lack of feedback may be due to pitching this idea to the wrong demographic.  As backpackers, the notion of a wooden cutting board sounds necessarily heavy.  Few people I know even bring a cutting board; but I happen to use a thin, HDPE cutting sheet that is about four times the size of your concept, and probably a fraction of the weight.  Likewise your knife may be received with skepticism, as members of the plaid shirt mafia tend to have strong opinions about blades.  As for me I don't think your blade design is suitable for my intentions, perhaps, except cutting cheese.   I always bring a Swiss Army knife.  If the venue allows some indulgence, I may also bring a 6" chef's knife (has a curved cutting edge for prepping fresh veggies) or a 6" filleting knife when trout is on the menu. 

Ed 

8:12 a.m. on November 14, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

A little confused by the original post and intention of this product. I'm not sure a cutting board is going to be the solution to reducing freeze dried or dehydrated packaging. If you are camping, boating, or in the back yard you are probably not carrying FD food. Also the size and weight of a cutting board is not going to be as big an issue. Using FD food means probably carrying it backpacking so adding the weight of the cutting board would again not be the issue...it would be the weight of the food to be cut.

If the goal is reducing packaging, maybe come up with a good reusable sealable bag that could store home dehydrated food and market that to dehydrator companies to sell with their products? 

8:33 a.m. on November 14, 2018 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,139 reviewer rep
1,099 forum posts

FlipNC said:

If the goal is reducing packaging, maybe come up with a good reusable sealable bag that could store home dehydrated food and market that to dehydrator companies to sell with their products? 

Like this?:

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/harmony-house/heavy-duty-clear-zip-pouches/#review39101

1:18 p.m. on November 14, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Well how did I miss that the first time?  Nice.  Are those machine washable? Ive switched from ziplocs to a real map case and use heavier duty ziplocs from an old job (sample bags for environmental work) but they don't stand up.

3:06 a.m. on November 15, 2018 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,139 reviewer rep
1,099 forum posts

They are hard to turn inside out, could probably machine wash if you can find a way to hold them open in the machine. We just hand wash them. 

I too have a huge stash of old sample bags, but keep them mostly in the lab for reuse.

October 21, 2019
Quick Reply