Dean Potter dies in BASE jump

2:11 p.m. on May 18, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,021 forum posts

The details are lacking at this point. Dean Potter died in a BASE jump in Yosemite attempting a wing suit flight, along with his partner Graham Hunt. I have known Dean for many years, though I never climbed with him, and would never attempt many of the things he did, such as paragliding, BASE jumping, and free soloing. He received a lot of criticism for his climb of Delicate Arch in Arches National Park. On the other hand he pioneered many techniques now considered standard

5:34 p.m. on May 18, 2015 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
3,595 forum posts

It is always sad to lose a member of a small fraternity like BASE jumpers. I am going on a raft trip with a friend that has jumped all over the world. It is the nature of people in adrenaline sports to lose friends. I used to be serious about serious rafting. People die. It is a given.  Now I only do easier stuff.

6:06 p.m. on May 18, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,564 reviewer rep
1,642 forum posts

Dean Potter was a game changer in everything he did.  Everyone dies though so the hope is that it is after a significant life. I'd say he fits that description.

12:40 a.m. on May 19, 2015 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
3,595 forum posts

Good words by Jeff. I am not trying to be dismissive.  Some younger people get enamored with a sport like BASE jumping and forget about some of the risks.  People need to be safety conscious all the time with those kind of sports. Ever vigilant. 

11:47 a.m. on May 19, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,226 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

While I would never attempt any of the things he did, I sure did love watching him on TV. He was a very inspiring person and I hated to hear this news.

Any of you who haven't seen the Valley Uprising film should check it out if you have a chance. There are some great features on Dean and all of the famous Yosemite climbers. I wouldn't say that he and Honnold have a rivalry like Warren Harding and Royal Robbins, but I definitely think that they have a lot of similarities. I think of Honnold as more of the purist Royal Robbins type and Dean to be more of the wide open Warren Harding type.

Anyway, I sure will miss watching him and hearing about him. He was definitely one of the greats.

7:35 p.m. on June 12, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

NYT times today had a good story on it and BASE jumping in NPs. Google Lost Brother in Yosemite 

Seems Dean's girlfriend heard it happen.  

3:42 p.m. on June 15, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,226 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

I agree, WasAdamG. It was a really good write-up.

11:45 p.m. on June 16, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

ppine said:

Good words by Jeff. I am not trying to be dismissive.  Some younger people get enamored with a sport like BASE jumping and forget about some of the risks.  People need to be safety conscious all the time with those kind of sports. Ever vigilant. 

I quite agree with ppine. In any case, safety is a top priority.

11:20 p.m. on June 17, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I do agree with Ppine,people need to be safety conscious all the time with those kind of sports.Each person's life only have once, need to cherish it at anytime.

January 20, 2019
Quick Reply