Meet Patman: Lover of Mountains and Trip Reporter Extraordinaire

10:24 a.m. on May 23, 2018 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Meet Patman: Lover of Mountains and Trip Reporter Extraordinaire"

Congratulations to Patrick Mason, our newest Reviewer of the Month! An avid backpacker from Tennessee and prodigious reporter of trips, he wins more than $300 worth of gear in thanks for his contributions.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2018/05/23/patman-reviewer-of-the-month.html

5:23 p.m. on May 23, 2018 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,139 reviewer rep
444 forum posts

Congratulations Patrick! Funny how we learn more things about each other with these spotlights... I moonlight from time to time recording guitar tracks as a studio player :) Enjoy!

6:43 p.m. on May 23, 2018 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
488 forum posts

Congrats to a great guy. Enjoy you reports  all the time. And especially the advice!

7:56 p.m. on May 23, 2018 (EDT)
388 reviewer rep
220 forum posts

Couldn't pick a better guy-Congratulations

10:03 p.m. on May 23, 2018 (EDT)
1,259 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

I always enjoy your trip reports and gear reviews.

Still looking forward to the day we run into each other around Citico/Slickrock/Joyce Kilmer. (I'll be there the last week of June.)

10:41 p.m. on May 23, 2018 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
361 forum posts

Well deserved!

10:51 p.m. on May 23, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,581 reviewer rep
158 forum posts

Well deserved! I’m thrilled for you! Congrats!

2:54 a.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
3,569 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Congrats Patrick! Funny how quite a few folks along the trail like Lord of the Rings books. They are, after all, a story of a really long walk if you think about it.

Sounds like we need to have a Stratospire camp in the mountains soon!

6:31 a.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Your future trip to the Wind Rivers will be awesome!  My two favorite trips are the long pack in to the Titcomb Basin to climb Gannett Peak.  The highest point in Wyoming.  It is an epic trip and one of the most beautiful places I have encountered.  Long and hard but well worth it if you hike into Titcomb Basin and then on to the pass at the end of the basin just to see Gannett.  Also, the trip into Cirque of the Towers is epic.  Absolutely beautiful at Lonesome Lake.   I admire your tenacity and love of the outdoors.  Good luck in the future.  Joe S

8:47 a.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,916 forum posts

This is pretty awesome to go to a deserving individual that stands out in outings...Which still love to get everyone to hit a trail together and make memories

10:28 a.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,931 reviewer rep
1,430 forum posts

denis daly said:

This is pretty awesome to go to a deserving individual that stands out in outings...Which still love to get everyone to hit a trail together and make memories

Pat hasn't mentioned it, but his Wind River trip this year is just to scout things out for the rest of us to go with him next year Denis. We'll make sure you get the invite :)

I'm glad you are writing reviews now too Pat. Love the trip reports and always think of you before I dip into an icy water crossing :p but all those trips you go on are valuable testing opportunities. Thanks for taking some of your limited time to share both your reports and reviews!

10:34 a.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,724 forum posts

You make this place go. 

After reading your bio I like you even more. 

10:36 a.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
6,402 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Well deserved and thanks for sharing! I have the same picture from Standing Indian Mountain...I was planning to put it in my next review of my Hyperlite pack. It's a great overlook. Also, I listened to the LOTR trilogy audio book while walking Te Araroa. You better believe I was sobbing at points, but mostly because I was experiencing the storyline almost in situ. It's an epic tale to relive while you're on your own long journey. Very inspiring.

2:22 p.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
3,158 reviewer rep
2,248 forum posts

Wow, what an honor and thank you all for the kind words, sincerely. 

Sean,

Yeah I still play pretty much every day that I'm home. If we get together on trail maybe we'll have to endure a little extra weight. I have a Baby Taylor that I bought just for backpacking. It's a bit too nice for the trail though, I rarely take it out anymore. 

Cadenza,

It's actually surprising we haven't run into each other yet. I know we've only missed by hours a few times based on Tipi's reports.  

Phil,

Yeah until I saw your Stratospire up close I wasn't ready to pull the trigger but that's a neat little shelter.

Thanks Joe Sadler, I'm not set on a route yet but that does help to know. I'm actually struggling a little bit; there is so much there that I want to see but only have a week. 

LS and Denis, sure enough we should all try to do that next year. 

ppine, 

thanks very much! and likewise you are one that I've learned a lot from reading, as Ed has mentioned before, you have an incredible amount of knowledge and experience in places that I want to see....

Twig,

thanks, I'm looking forward to see your reviews after all those epic adventures! It worked out for me to camp on Standing Indian just a bit higher and behind that overlook. Was it already burned out when you were there? I heard the fires from two years ago decimated it. 

4:54 p.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

Congratulations again, Patrick!

You have been a long-time, loyal, positive member of Trailspace and I always appreciate your experiences you share with us.

And, as I've already admitted to you, I've also cried reading The Return of the King out loud to my kid.

5:05 p.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
6,402 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Yes, the fire did hit the area...you can see the scorched trees to the side in my picture. But the destruction was spotty so there are still live trees around too.

7:06 p.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
3,569 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Patrick may be a solo hiker mostly but he is also great company on the trail and one of the nicest people you can meet. And I'm not just saying that to make sure I'm on the invite list for future Wind River trips!

2:25 p.m. on May 25, 2018 (EDT)
4,454 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

Congrats Patman! Maybe we'll figure out a way to do some miles together one of these years...

4:11 a.m. on May 28, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

Well-deserved Patman! 

10:48 a.m. on May 28, 2018 (EDT)
5,342 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

You know when you have a vivid dream and days/weeks/months later that experience comes to mind and you have to ask yourself, "did that experience actually happen to me or was that just in a dream?" I sometimes have to ask myself that question when later talking about places that I've read Patman write trip reports about. 

10:14 a.m. on June 8, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,695 reviewer rep
1,426 forum posts

It seems that Patrick always has a smile on his face. That is inspiring, I think.

May 20, 2019
Quick Reply