Outdoor Insiders' Top 10 Tips for Standout Gear Reviews

2:52 p.m. on August 7, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,221 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Insiders' Top 10 Tips for Standout Gear Reviews"

What makes a product review valuable and trustworthy? We've been asking community members, reviewers, and outdoor industry professionals to share their insights. Here's what we learned.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2019/08/07/outdoor-insider-top-10-review-tips.html

4:12 p.m. on August 7, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,540 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

Great article, Alicia! Trailspace has been a great place for honest reviews for many years, and the place I go to most frequently. I trust the reviews here more than a brand's website, as they tend to be overly praiseworthy of most products. I like to see the good and the bad before I buy a piece of gear. 

9:36 p.m. on August 7, 2019 (EDT)
INCENTIVIZED REVIEWER
937 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

i love this. I’ll try to apply this on Trailspace and elsewhere. 

8:13 a.m. on August 8, 2019 (EDT)
70 reviewer rep
242 forum posts

Very thoughtful and informative article!  Thanks.

5:47 a.m. on August 9, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

I just read this and really appreciate all the effort it took to put it together. Something for everyone in there and very well written. Thanks. 

7:04 a.m. on August 9, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,221 forum posts

Thanks for the comments above!

It was a beneficial process to step back and simply start asking people their thoughts on reviews, value, and trust. Seeing how points and themes repeated among individuals was interesting. I've heard a lot of insightful, thoughtful feedback and am grateful to everyone who spent time considering these topics. 

Thanks!

10:41 a.m. on August 17, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,300 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

I really liked the article, and even though I‘ve written quite a few reviews there are always more tips to learn for making them better. 

2:16 a.m. on August 21, 2019 (EDT)
330 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

A great effort to help us in this mirky world.

On the general question of good and fake reviews this is worth reading: https://theconversation.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-review-youre-probably-worse-at-it-than-you-realise-121043 Do the quiz in it too. I thought I was good at spotting fakes but only scored 3/5.

At the end of the quiz are some useful links to sites that sift out fake reviews: Fakespot.com and ReviewMeta.com.

12:10 p.m. on August 21, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,221 forum posts

Ianw said:

A great effort to help us in this mirky world.

On the general question of good and fake reviews this is worth reading: https://theconversation.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-review-youre-probably-worse-at-it-than-you-realise-121043 Do the quiz in it too. I thought I was good at spotting fakes but only scored 3/5.

At the end of the quiz are some useful links to sites that sift out fake reviews: Fakespot.com and ReviewMeta.com.

Great article, Ian! Thanks for sharing it. I hadn't seen this one yet.

October 22, 2019
Quick Reply