Black Diamond Magnetron Carabiners Auto-Lock with Magnets

10:13 p.m. on July 13, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
0 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Black Diamond Magnetron Carabiners Auto-Lock with Magnets"

Forget twistlocks and screwlocks. Black Diamond's newest carabiners use magnets to auto lock. Black Diamond's patent-pending Magnetron Technology will be available on select locking carabiners in July 2012.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/articles/2011/07/13/black-diamond-magnetron-carabiner.html

8:48 a.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
625 reviewer rep
1,181 forum posts

That's amazing.  Must be rare-earth magnets.  I couldn't imagine you'd want to get a credit card or an iphone within a foot of those.

9:53 a.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,125 forum posts

More parts = unnecessary complexity IMO.

Ed

10:52 a.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,314 reviewer rep
1,641 forum posts

Solution in search of a problem? Do I say that too often?

Just when carabiners were dropping in price again, now we have a way to make them more expensive.

Okay, I admit it is cool and may save some falls, but my initial reaction is that I will continue to use screwgates. Maybe just because they are cheap.

12:46 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
280 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

maybe just trying tooooo hard.  It will be interesting to read some users reviews

1:04 p.m. on July 14, 2011 (EDT)
1,711 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Seth said:

That's amazing.  Must be rare-earth magnets.  I couldn't imagine you'd want to get a credit card or an iphone within a foot of those.

Earth magnets are used on my Hydraform bladder to attach it to my sternum strap. Pretty strong stuff. Will definitely make a compass go bonkers if held to close.

6:20 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
775 reviewer rep
2,162 forum posts

Magents- How do the $&%# do they work?!?

(sorry, couldn't resist throwing in a web-meme :)

6:24 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
775 reviewer rep
2,162 forum posts

I will be curious to see how they perform over time. Two more hinged parts provide two more potential points of failure, but screw gates can become severely bound in a variety of ways. These wouldn't have that problem. 

9:01 p.m. on July 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

'google' neodymium magnets.  Or, better yet, 'wikipedia'.

I have them ... a "dent-ball set" (for removing dents from the bells of horns).

Also, they are replacing ceramic and ferrous metal magnets on the backs of speakers.   A HUGE difference in weight.   I used to be a guitar-player in rock bands.   Still have a couple of those "Kustom" amplifiers (the ones with the colored, sparkly, rolled-and-pleated "Naugahyde"), that have three 15" speakers in each ... are the size of refrigerators ... and weigh A TON.

Replacing the ferrous-metal (AlNiCo) magnet speakers with neodymium magnet speakers makes a huge difference in weight.

The magnets are incredibly powerful.   Printed "WARNING !" labels are on the dent-ball tools.   Warns those with heart pace-makers to refrain from using them.  I know of fellow band instrument repair-techs that have had their  fingers smashed by these things ... caught unawares of the amazing strength and speed when they draw onto another metal substance.  Has happened to me; fortunately, with a small one.   Also, will screw-up a wrist-watch ... and computer chips.

Scroll-down in the wiki site, for the "Hazards" description.   Deaths have occurred.   Many broken bones, also.

~r2~

12:31 a.m. on July 29, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
880 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I'm sure these are going to be a big hit with new climbers.

November 21, 2018
Quick Reply