How to deal with sticky seam sealer?

12:46 p.m. on March 3, 2015 (EST)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

I have a ~15 year old Eureka Timberlite tent that I dearly love.  The thing is in excellent condition, but....

the seam sealer on the outside is getting rather sticky and the tent fabric sticks together when in the stuff sack.

How do you get rid of sticky seam sealer???

10:31 p.m. on March 3, 2015 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,035 forum posts

Kinda the opposite problem, one of my much used tents is having the seam sealer on the inside seams of the fly starting to flake off. I haven't decided yet whether to paint over the seams or to "help" the rest of the remaining sealer flake off.

In your case, I might guess that painting over the old sealer with a new coat might help. Try it on a short section. If you can peel the old stuff off, that might be the best bet. Of course, Eureka would be delighted to have you buy a new tent,

7:52 a.m. on March 4, 2015 (EST)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

Bill, I really think applying seam sealer over seam sealer that never dries is a really bad idea.

I'd love to help out Eureka by buying a new tent - unfortunately the Timberlite was discontinued many years ago.  None of the newer models appeal to me.

3:03 p.m. on March 4, 2015 (EST)
253 reviewer rep
195 forum posts

When I have put new seam sealer on and it was still a little sticky after drying, I put a little talc on it.  Another thing you could try if it is just sticky on the surface is a solvent, milder the better, perhaps alcohol or WD40, which might remove the top layer of stickiness.  Or if it is sticky all the way through and soft, you could scrape most of it off, then clean the rest with a solvent, and then redo the seam seailing. I guess it depends on the specific situation. 

7:52 a.m. on March 5, 2015 (EST)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

Talcum powder. Interesting Idea. I'll give that a shot after trying some alcohol.

Certainly can't make things worse.

I would think that WD-40 would attract dirt.

thx!

e

11:43 a.m. on March 5, 2015 (EST)
253 reviewer rep
195 forum posts

Alcohol would dissolve polar materials.  WD40 would dissolve petroleum based matrials, (It is a very mild solvent - I think mostly kerosene combined with a propellant that evaporates - you want to start with the mildest solvent and work your way up so you don't dissolve more than you want.)  Neither is going to attract dirt because you are going to wipe them off.

The Talc might have been recommended on the Seamgrip instructions, so i can't take credit for it.

January 27, 2020
Quick Reply