forget buying new boot and shoe laces

7:31 a.m. on April 30, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

We all have had to buy new laces for our boots or shoes at some point so stop! Most of use carry paracord and buy 100 feet or 50 feet at a time so to take extra replace you boot or shoe laces with it! 7 strands plus the outer part that keeps them together, so you have plenty of cordage and still have laces. Even if you never use them for anything but laces I bet they will last along time. I just got some paracord in and was thinking of things to do with it and if I need to order more and looked at my boots and put the 2 together (though I'm sure I'm not the 1st to think of this).

12:50 p.m. on April 30, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,216 reviewer rep
2,316 forum posts

i have used 3mm or 4mm line as laces before.  tends to not stay tied as well so needed to be double-knotted.  

10:47 p.m. on April 30, 2016 (EDT)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Paracord is too "slippery".  I'd rather use better laces.

5:49 a.m. on May 1, 2016 (EDT)
940 reviewer rep
783 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

i have used 3mm or 4mm line as laces before.  tends to not stay tied as well so needed to be double-knotted.  

Try removing the 7 strand core.  The paracord becomes more "grippy".

7:42 a.m. on May 1, 2016 (EDT)
1,310 reviewer rep
420 forum posts

I like paracord for my work boots because of its abrasion resistance, but the fact that it stretches when it gets wet is why I no longer use it on my hiking & snowshoeing boots. It did allow me to wrap my Jeep steering wheel for a better grip when either my hands or the wheel are wet or muddy. 

I have Asolo laces on all my boots that either had crappy laces from the factory or needed new ones. The ones on my Fugitives are over 18 months old and haven't worn through, that's good enough for me. I've tried using 3mm accessory cord and it works, but is very stiff and wants to untie. That'll be my emergency option, like using commo wire was in the army. 

11:41 a.m. on May 1, 2016 (EDT)
260 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I graduated the U.S. Army's Parachute Rigger Course in 1989.  I know Type III nylon cord (550 cord), and I won't use it for boot laces.  We each make our own choices for our own reasons.

11:34 p.m. on May 1, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

well I thought I had a good idea....lol. I messed with it today and I had it slip come undone ect. It's did work wet which reminded me of alot of the new super lines for fishing that you gotta get wet to get them to tie right without snapping. So my idea died but a lesson learned. 

6:19 p.m. on May 12, 2016 (EDT)
440 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

My brother worked at a Red Wing boot store and I asked him to get me new laces for my Asolos for Christmas. Should have been a simple task.

The Pinterest enthusiast got me paracord in my college colors - sweet thought, but the nylon is so slick they will not stay tied unless I triple-knot it or more.

My boots look awesome with bright yellow and purple laces, but I look kinda dumb when they come untied.

11:53 p.m. on May 12, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Siltloam....yeah I thought I had a good idea but it was a bust. I have a abundance of paracord and techloc's so I'm always trying to find something new to use them for. But lesson learned on my part.

3:04 p.m. on May 13, 2016 (EDT)
1,310 reviewer rep
420 forum posts

I don't have any problem with the paracord on my work boots coming untied, and it still has the inner strands. I double knot all my shoes & boots all the time. The only problem I've ever had with it was its stretchiness when wet, if you happen to tie your boots when the laces are wet they'll become painfully tight when they're dry. Hopefully you have some strong fingernails to pick the knots apart!

9:00 p.m. on May 13, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Phil....given what you said I'm gonna dig out all my paracord and see which one doesnt slip. I've gothen it from several different retailers all od green. It will give me something to do since I think my plans may get rained out. I use it as a lanyard on all my knives and tomahawks and never had a knot come undone that's why I thought if I ever needed new laces I'd just use paracord too.

February 18, 2020
Quick Reply