Ibex merino

11:18 a.m. on December 1, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,643 reviewer rep
38 forum posts

Just saw an email from Ibex merino, that they are going out of business. Very sad for them! They make good, if pricey garments. Look to find them on sale most everywhere.

11:01 a.m. on December 8, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,732 reviewer rep
2,049 forum posts

that is unfortunate. great quality gear. guessing their price point was just too high.  

12:34 p.m. on December 8, 2017 (EST)
3,760 reviewer rep
955 forum posts

Does that make the Trailspace toque a collectors item?!

8:59 a.m. on December 11, 2017 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
848 reviewer rep
3,902 forum posts

Jake W said:

Yes! We're out of our beanies and have been trying to get extra stock, but so far have been unable.

10:39 a.m. on December 12, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,643 reviewer rep
38 forum posts

I agree that their price point is a little high, which probably didn't help. Icebreaker's prices are a little easier on the wallet, and you can always find it on sale. 

10:41 a.m. on January 10, 2018 (EST)
5,732 reviewer rep
2,049 forum posts

their website has everything marked 40-60% off. limited sizes and colors, and some stock is gone, but worth looking. unfortunate.  

1:06 p.m. on January 10, 2018 (EST)
2,916 reviewer rep
1,088 forum posts

Thanks for the reminder - unfortunately you are right a lot of the sizes are limited. Hope some folks can get a great deal!

5:48 p.m. on January 16, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
11,422 reviewer rep
1,393 forum posts

I LOVE their stuff. But I received it all from Trailspace. They were just too expensive on my budget. 

I wonder if their production costs or their profit margin was set too high?

5:48 p.m. on January 20, 2018 (EST)
5,732 reviewer rep
2,049 forum posts

I read a good article about this. Ibex had serious competitors making merino wool products of various kinds - Icebreaker, Smartwool, Patagonia, Arcteryx (the latter mostly synthetic long johns). Retailers ultimately complained that Ibex worked harder than most to transfer retail to direct-to-consumer online sales. Some retailers (many, perhaps) may have lessened retail support for the brand - less shelf space, offering less SKU numbers to consumers - due to Ibex's practices. The retailer interviewed in the article suggested more balance between the direct to consumer and retail models.

Ibex no doubt also suffered from contraction and difficulties in the outdoors retail space more generally. When Eastern Mountain Sports and Moosejaw are getting acquired by larger interests due to struggles with profitability, it signals a larger trend. The same has happened to a number of brands - Marmot, Smartwool (acquired by Timberland in '05), The North Face (acquired by the same corporate parent that bought Timberland), Icebreaker (acquired by the Timberland/Smartwool/The North Face corporate parent in November 2017). So Icebreaker and Smartwool are now under the same corporate umbrella, and Ibex is gone. choice for quality merino wool garments is shrinking fast.  

12:37 a.m. on January 21, 2018 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,879 forum posts

Thanks for the heads up.I snagged a hoodie that Joseph did a review of a few years ago and it stuck in my head.I have items from the other makers Iam pleased with and will keep buying their products...@ Andrew I have a minimus 33 base layer top not to shabby....Snagged it in Georgia at an outfitters...

1:08 a.m. on January 22, 2018 (EST)
905 reviewer rep
554 forum posts

And here I thought online sales was the wave of the future.

Eric B.

9:44 p.m. on January 31, 2018 (EST)
1,422 reviewer rep
1,344 forum posts

Alicia said:

Jake W said:

Yes! We're out of our beanies and have been trying to get extra stock, but so far have been unable.

Oh, bummer. I lost mine somewhere, and was hoping to buy a replacement. Hopefully they'll become available again.

June 24, 2018
Quick Reply