Air Mattress inflation: Pump or Bag Pump?

1:35 a.m. on September 8, 2018 (EDT)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

Just got an REI FLASH Insulated air mattress and a Sea to Summit pump bag to go with it. 

Originally I bought REI's small foam-filled hand pump but felt it took too long to fill the mattress.

So I returned the hand pump and opted for the pump bag also because it can be a dry bag for my clothes and save the weight of a dedicated hand pump. I have several other Sea to Summit dry bags and they all hold up very well over the years.

WHAT DO YOU USE TO PUMP YOUR AIR MATTRESSES?

Eric B.

6:49 a.m. on September 8, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,565 reviewer rep
1,013 forum posts

When I bought one of the Sea to Summit mats (the Ultralight model) last year there was a promotion on that it came with the dry bag with inflation nozzle (one of the reasons I finally pulled the trigger). Store the mat, sleeping bag, pillow in it then get to camp and throw the whole bag in the tent (especially handy in rainy conditions) and don't have to worry about any of my sleep gear getting wet. Same thing in reverse the next morning. For winter I still use my old Exped Downmat with that silly CPR style pump. It takes forever but that is still the most comfortable sleeping mat for winter warmth.

9:03 p.m. on September 9, 2018 (EDT)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

Jake,

REI makes a winter version of the Flash insulated with a R 5.2 rating. REI is fairly accurate in their ratings. Jus' sayin' in case yer winter mattress expires.

Eric B.

8:56 p.m. on September 23, 2018 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
297 reviewer rep
114 forum posts

I use a white glad garbage bag . Weights nothing and doubles for keeping my park clean

6:47 a.m. on September 24, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,478 reviewer rep
1,041 forum posts

Don't know if they're still available, but we've been using one of these for about 5 years:

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/therm-a-rest/neoair-airtap-pump-kit/#review32354

9:17 p.m. on September 24, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts

I use the Instaflator: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/the-instaflator/

Alas, no longer made.

5:45 a.m. on September 25, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

My instaflator eventually had too many unrepairable holes so I took its valve and installed it in the corner of a compactor bag. Works great. Only about 3 bags of air to fill the NeoAir Xtherm. Plus, no longer have the instaflators excessively long tube! Should have done it proactively years ago.

6:26 a.m. on September 25, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,332 forum posts

I did the same thing with my instaflator valve but put a stopper in it so the pack liner is still waterproof. It's nice to fill the pad without getting out of the tent when it's raining.

JR if you prefer the instaflator and yours fails eventually let me know...I bought three of them in case he stopped making them and still have at least one hanging around and would be happy to send it to you.

7:28 a.m. on September 25, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts

Uncle Air said:

Plus, no longer have the instaflators excessively long tube!

I cut down the length of the tube, works just as well and saves a bit of weight as well.

FlipNC said:

JR if you prefer the instaflator and yours fails eventually let me know...I bought three of them in case he stopped making them and still have at least one hanging around and would be happy to send it to you.

Thanks Phil, I'm on the same wavelength as I have an unused spare as well.

7:28 a.m. on September 25, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts

<deleted double post>

February 16, 2019
Quick Reply