Startup Needing Your Input!

8:44 p.m. on September 16, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Fellow outdoor lover here currently in the works of building a mobile application startup tailored specifically to the outdoor adventurer and traveler.   

We have completed a ton of market research identifying a gap area and we are moving toward a prototype for launch.  However I need you and the outdoor communities help to gather first hand potential user information.  

I would Love to go into the details of our solution, however it would create biases before taking the survey I am requesting.  Once completed you have an opportunity to provide your contact info if you would like to learn more (which I will provide.)  So please, when you have a moment take the brief survey at the link I have provided here or scan the QR code with your phone.

Pass this along to friends and family who love the outdoors as much as you so we can great the best possible product for you all!!

surveymonkey.com/r/OutdoorGear

QR_code_OutdoorGear.png

11:17 p.m. on September 16, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts

Survey done. It's not my secret to tell so I won't reveal your concept, but I will say that it seems you ask a few general questions and then divulge the concept yourself in the survey so I don't know that revealing it here would bias anything. I have some additional thoughts to share.

8:31 a.m. on September 17, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thank you JRinGeorgia!  You are correct in your assessment about the initial questions being quite general - that's important information though for us to gather.  It wouldn't be a Huge bias but it is sort of one of those "rules" of survey collection to keep the ones taking the survey as blind as possible so they dont have preconceived notions.  

Would love to hear your additional thoughts, feel free to shoot me an email at gearedupmail@gmail.com

9:24 a.m. on September 17, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,565 reviewer rep
1,013 forum posts

survey complete, although there was no option to select anywhere but the US. It’s a neat idea, going to be difficult to fully realize the full range of a service like this (with potentially many logistical issue to navigate along the way), but something like this doesn’t really exist already (which can’t be said for most “new and innovative” ideas). Good luck with your business!

10:10 a.m. on September 17, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
350 forum posts

Alex, sent you a PM (here on Trailspace).

8:42 a.m. on September 18, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Hi Joel, I replied to your PM message.

Thanks Jake! There will certainly be some issues to work out along the way, but willing to step up to that challenge! It's definitely a gap to be addressed and thank you for the luck! 

10:03 a.m. on September 18, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

Survey complete.  Not sure how this would be different from some of the other options that exist already...

11:18 a.m. on September 18, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thank you for completing the survey.  As far as how it may differ, we are aiming for a product better than what currently exists.  What might I ask do you utilize if any? 

7:46 p.m. on September 18, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thank you all for your feedback so far! If anyone has any other suggestions for where I may be able to share my idea and collect feedback I am all ears! I am trying to steer clear of bothering people or coming off as a spam type of message of course.  

So far local and regional outdoor groups and other meetup groups have been working well and I am approaching 500 responses across the country.

8:19 p.m. on September 18, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,332 forum posts

Well I ignored this at first as advertising and spam but after a couple of the trusted members here took the plunge I filled it out. Not sure I am your prototype customer but willing to participate in a legitimate survey to help out. Good luck.

9:19 p.m. on September 18, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thank you Phil! 

I appreciate you taking the plunge as well, all input is helpful as we want to build what will have utility for the most people.  

8:33 p.m. on September 19, 2018 (EDT)
11,702 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Done. Not a bad concept. Good luck with your endeavor!

9:49 a.m. on September 20, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thank you G00SE, I appreciate the feedback! 

2:55 p.m. on September 20, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
741 forum posts

Not sure Uber is the best analogy for what you're developing...the paid skills/guide services are Uber-like...but renting gear is more along the lines of AirBnB.

Question 9 should be open-ended...you will not be able to use ordinal level statistics for the question (assuming you plan to use logistic regression to create predictive models of consumer behavior...which you should!)...but the data will be more accurate (my ethics are a barrier but the best answer I could give was no barrier). More importantly...you will be rewarded with a trove of barriers you haven't considered that would further support the "need" or "demand" for your concept...and I would imagine prove critical to developing the service moving forward (qualitative data is more difficult to analyze...but often much more revealing).

When using a Likert Scale it is best to simply ask which response is more accurate...rather than how likely...which is leading. Market and Public Opinion research often lead intentionally to get the data they want...but since you indicated a concern for bias I thought I'd mention it.

As with similar services human density is tied to the success of the service...but a lot of outdoor destinations are often in low density areas. In some popular locations local interests might be enough...but I would imagine that if not reliant on mail alone your service will rely largely on local outfitters?

5:16 p.m. on September 20, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Hello Joseph, 

Thanks a ton for your extra input!  I can certainly agree with you on the Uber vs AirBnB analogy.. really just trying to give the survey takers a tangible, somewhat similar example.

Great insight as well about question 9.  Open ended questions can (and could have in this scenario) provide valuable insight into consumers true behavior but is tricky for analysis.  I do feel I should have included an "other" option with an open text response... but unfortunately the 500+ replies I have so far would not get that option and so it will have to be on another survey in the future...

Also good observation about asking how likely... it can be a bit leading but when going after potential investors you want to be able to show the best data you can without being unethical.. so since it is a standard of practice I was okay with it.  

This was to get perspective and insight from the consumer side of the marketplace, that would also be able to function as sellers should they choose to.  I am also networking and questioning small and medium size outfitters on their interest and potential use of such a product.  Likely there would not be enough volume to have any success if it were only peer-to-peer... P2P was my original goal but early on I recognized it was not going to be a strong enough business model.. Businesses will Have to utilize it for it to succeed. 

2:02 p.m. on September 29, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Please complete the survey if you can!  Still need more!

Thank you to all that have! 

3:07 p.m. on October 21, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Hi All!  Thank you to those who have participated so far!  Please direct others of paste the link around if you have a chance, needing a bit more users to complete the survey to drive my numbers up!!

Thank you again and I hope you all are enjoying the outdoors! 

February 17, 2019
Quick Reply