Trailspace on Rocky Top, Good Ole Rocky Top, Tennessee

8:25 a.m. on April 25, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,048 reviewer rep
2,246 forum posts

Yes from the song, it may be too rocky to grow corn but you can nap on your backpack (maybe after enjoying corn from a jar?)

20180317_123648-L.jpg

Or enjoy the views:

20180317_123734-L.jpg

7:08 a.m. on April 26, 2018 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,119 reviewer rep
4,057 forum posts

Looks relaxing, Patman!

I just went and listened to a few renditions of this song, which I admit I didn't know until this morning. Thanks for the introduction.

8:54 a.m. on April 26, 2018 (EDT)
3,048 reviewer rep
2,246 forum posts

ha! That is the college fight song for the University of Tennessee and we hear it about 1.9 million times a year around here (college sports (esp. football) reign supreme in Knoxville) 

I played guitar in a local band for years and we played a lot of frat parties and campus bars etc.. I got really tired of Rocky Top and I have since vowed to never play that song again.  But it is fully ingrained in my brain at this point and that spot on the mountain is supposedly the actual place that inspired the song.

12:19 p.m. on April 26, 2018 (EDT)
3,595 reviewer rep
1,050 forum posts

When were on the JMT my friend Matt brought along his mandolin and in the evening would make up extemporaneous "bluerap" songs about the day's events. One day an irritable fellow we passed on the Golden Straircase had a one-way argument with my wife in which he accused her of "Ruining his JMT experience" -- basically because she passed him on the trail. He was carrying a little self-evident non-pack weight down there around the waist, so we dubbed him "Muffin Top". Let's just say the bluerap song that evening was to the tune of "Rocky Top".

Another memorable tune was "Ghee O.D."

Oh, and we heard Muffin Top didn't finish.

2:30 p.m. on April 26, 2018 (EDT)
3,048 reviewer rep
2,246 forum posts

lol, I bet that was a funny song!

I do similarly at home sometimes to amuse my elderly mother-in-law. My improvised songs are usually something to do with dinner though.

Ruining his experience? On trail? Wow that dude must have been pretty fragile.

Susan and I had a group of middle-aged men ruin our experience once but it involved loud classic rock played into the early morning hours, slovenly drunken behavior including frequent and public urination, random and unintelligible shouts and whoops, culminating in gun fire. 

well, actually they just ruined one night 'cause we got the heck out of there at daybreak and made as much noise as we could while doing so.

Wonder what muffin top would have done with that? 

2:32 p.m. on April 27, 2018 (EDT)
3,595 reviewer rep
1,050 forum posts

Gunfire?!

We think Muffintop was pissed off because he couldn't keep up with his girlfriend and photographer buddy and took it out on my wife.

I heard a story about some people in a campground somewhere in CO, heard some guy playing guitar and belting out John Denver songs a campsite or two away. When they went over to ask him to quiet down, it turned out it WAS John Denver.

March 25, 2019
Quick Reply