Missouri Trail suggestions?

4:21 p.m. on November 26, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

we are looking for suggestions for next week if we can work it out.

prefer something that is in southeast part of state as it is min 600 miles from here. So it's going to be a long drive and we can't leave till mon nite or Tuesday so time is limited.

wish list - something new maybe prairie like if there is anything like that. And open camping for about 3 days 

all suggestions welcome 

6:30 p.m. on November 27, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

I know this is not in the southeast but The Katy Trail State Park is a state park in  Missouri that contains the Katy Trail, a recreational rail trail that runs 240 miles in the right-of-way of the former Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railroad.  It is considered an easy trail, but a grerat adventure.  If you can't do it this trip maybe another time.

8:23 p.m. on November 27, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

Well thanks Ms Sharbear. That would be a little different.  ??? Do you know if camping is allowed along any portion of that trail? I've looked at 4 sections so far and can find no indication if it's allowed. 

8:29 p.m. on November 27, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

We just found out that camping isn't allowed so Ill keep looking. Thanks

9:03 p.m. on November 27, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Not familiar with that part of the country so no suggestions beyond the Ozark Trail but I have only heard of it...probably a stupid question since you asked about Missouri but are you tied to that area specifically? 600 miles in other directions puts a lot of trails into play...

9:33 p.m. on November 27, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

No Phil we're pretty open. Jeff just wanted something in Missouri with grass land type terrains. Something we've never done. Me I'm thinking mountains always but it's his turn to pick. So lay it on us and I'll run it by him.

10:01 p.m. on November 27, 2017 (EST)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Grayson highlands! Mountains, grasslands, rocks, ponies and longhorns ( you can pretend they are buffalo)

6:53 p.m. on November 28, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

Jason that's the one Phil and Patrick told us about last year and we were going to do it back in October but that fell thru.

I ran it by Jeff and he really likes that one. Can one of y'all give us the best sight to down load a map if we go that. Route. 

6:59 p.m. on November 28, 2017 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

The best map I know of is the Nat Geographic Mt Rogers High Country map. I'll see what I can dig up and message you.

7:12 p.m. on November 28, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

Thanks Phil 

9:10 p.m. on November 28, 2017 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Note that if you want grasslands like prairies, Grayson is not what you want.  It has open grasslands but they are more like high elevation balds than prairies.  Just an FYI.  I just shot you a message.

7:24 a.m. on November 29, 2017 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

If you are willing to travel further...Dolly Sods in WV may be a good option too.

7:59 a.m. on November 29, 2017 (EST)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Dolly Sods would work. I'm hoping to get up there this spring. 

Grasslands
IMG_20170927_141257705.jpgMountains

IMG_20170926_141927266.jpg
Rocks.
IMG_20170926_155817733_TOP.jpg
Ponies.
IMG_20170926_165501125_HDR.jpgAnd Buffalo!

IMG_20170926_145559854.jpg

8:31 a.m. on November 29, 2017 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Yep - there are grasslands, but I heard "prairie" which is different.  Can't get much more variety than Grayson Highlands - there are a lot of pretty forest areas as well.

4:45 p.m. on November 29, 2017 (EST)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Sorry John. It didn't look like there was much info on Missouri and I'm a one man tourism board.

6:07 p.m. on November 29, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

Fellas all I have to say is thank you finally got hold of Jeff today and he said that's the very hike he was trying to find. Now I don't have to drive 12 hours which translates to more trail time. We are decided and heading up y'alls way.

Jason no need to wait! Jeffs dad can't go and we're leaving his little brother this trip Stevens a newlywed and my brothers wife is having health troubles y'all can hop in the truck with us. TS gang only this go round. Halaluya no one but real hikers.

5:31 a.m. on November 30, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,223 forum posts

John:

The USGS has an on-line portal to view, download or purchase hard copies.

https://store.usgs.gov/

MyTopo is a good third party source, where you view maps interactively, or custom order a hard copy of the area you have in mind.

http://www.mytopo.com/maps/

Ed

8:53 a.m. on November 30, 2017 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

So John which trail you headed to instead? I couldn't tell

11:02 a.m. on November 30, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

Ed thanks I'll check it out later.

Denis just started looking and the only one I've had a chance to check out as of the moment is one out of Grayson Highlands st park an 18 mile loop. I'm gonna let Phil guide us in what direction and trails since it's his stomping ground. The run it by Jeff who is having college finals this week and see what's his preference. But I'm pretty much sold on whatever Phil or Jason tell me concerning that area as it will be completely new to us 

7:29 p.m. on December 1, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

All I know so far is we're about settled on starting out from Massey Gap. I'm going to dig into it more tonight and tomorrow and settle on a starter trail and let y'all know more tomorrow.

8:40 p.m. on December 1, 2017 (EST)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Massey Gap is a good place to start. Your car will be locked in when the park closes, just make sure you get back to it before closing. All sorts of loops you can put together from there.

4:18 p.m. on December 2, 2017 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

John..Jason, Denis, Patrick and others know this area at least as well as I do but glad to help.

Be prepared for at least a low in the teens ans some frozen precip...that area gets some really interesting and changeable weather.

10:41 p.m. on December 2, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

Thanks Jason & Phil

looks like Jeff and I'll leave out of Massie Gap and take the Rhododendron gap trail up towards Mt Rogers the camp near Thomas knob On day one it just really depends on how long the drive up takes us as we will be arriving mid afternoon. Then take the Pine Mountains tr towards Scales. After that we'll flip a coin as to which way to go. Jeff really wants open range and I want to see the rocks and wilburn ridge/ stone mt area.

so yall point us in right direction.

Looks like some interesting weather this week possible snow and showing rain Tuesday with temperatures dropping probably in teens up there on top. We will see if we flat landers can handle it.

?? Recommended amount of water? To carry? Phil told me about Thomas Knob.

12:04 a.m. on December 3, 2017 (EST)
148 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Thomas knob is the most reliable water. There are a few places on the way up depending on rainfall. The ridge going to Thomas knob is filled with great campsites. Our last trip we went to Thomas knob and filled up on water then backtracked to a campsite. We took the crest trail as just a leisurely walk to scales then mt. Rogers horse trail to Wilson creek the the A.T. and Wise shelter. We weren't looking for a set amount of miles. Just enjoying the view, petting ponies and having fun. This pic is about 20 yards from our campsite.
IMG_20170926_192433594_HDR.jpg
And this is looking back towards the A.T.

IMG_20170926_192038944_HDR.jpg
I have 5 12 hour shifts in front of me or I would join you. Message me if you need anything.

9:05 a.m. on December 3, 2017 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Reliable water...

Thomas Knob Shelter spring

Crest Trail spring near Pine Mtn Trail and Cliffside/Lewis Fork intersection

Wise Shelter creek

Many other spots like springs are scattered around but those are the well known ones.

Are you tent or hammock camping? Tents would give you some great open campsite options.

Wilburn Ridge is rocky, but Stone Mountain is actually a mix of some rock outcrops and lots of open land where you will get great views and likely horse herds.

9:24 a.m. on December 3, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

Jason we aren't looking for miles either on this trip just more to experience this are. Hate you gotta work.

Phil it's tent this week Jeff don't have a hammock and I appreciate the info. Stone Mountain is definitely what we are both looking for so with that in mind we may adjust route to get a little more of that. 

11:13 a.m. on December 3, 2017 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

Midweek it shouldn't be too crowded...there are some great open spots along Pine Mountain Trail as well as the AT east of Thomas Knob.  Enjoy!  I'll be up there next weekend for my first taste of winter (long term forecast is snow showers and wind chills down to the single digits at last!).

3:02 p.m. on December 5, 2017 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

John Phil and Jason did a great job on filling you in..Not much to add but post a trip report and enjoy....Weekdays are better but people gotta work...

9:27 a.m. on December 7, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

Hey gang we're back home. Had a good time . Jeff gasses out pretty darn bad on 2nd day so I bought him back home. Didn't get to do as much as I wanted but enough so that it wasn't a wasted trip.

report to follow soon.

10:38 p.m. on December 7, 2017 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

john it still close where you can get back to it another trip...Keep it in your places to go

5:53 p.m. on December 8, 2017 (EST)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

At least you got there...I planned to have a winter snow hike there this weekend, but got delayed at work and the snow had already come down and snarled all the roads. Had to settle for a 6 mile hike along a snowy greenway this evening and hope to day hike up Pilot Mtn tomorrow. When life hands you lemons...use them like lime and take a shot of tequila!

Looking forward to the trip report.

March 25, 2019
Quick Reply