Sante Fe National Forest, Pecos Wilderness

4:38 p.m. on October 19, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

This was a day hike I did on the 15th of October to the summit of East Pecos Baldy.  EPB is one of 14 peaks in the area and ranked 20th highest in the state of NM at 12,529 ft.  

Rather than post 30 photos on this thread, just click the link and it will go straight to the album on this site.  I tried to put some descriptions in each photo.  Enjoy!

Heading to Flagstaff, AZ tomorrow to climb the state highpoint, Humphreys Peak.  

Oh, here's the link:  https://www.trailspace.com/people/rob5073/?album=pecos-wilderness-oct-2014&content=albums

DSCF1950.jpg

Truchas Group from the summit of East Pecos Baldy

12:44 a.m. on October 22, 2014 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,789 forum posts

This is a really interesting part of the country. I almost moved to the area around Pecos, NM which you probably passed on the way in there.

12:48 a.m. on October 22, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

Yes, passed right through it. Only way into that section of the national forest is to drive through Pecos.

11:40 a.m. on October 24, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,345 forum posts

That picture makes me think of the San Francisco Peaks where you are hiking by now I see. A friend from here in Tucson is heading tomorrow up to hike Humphreys as well.

4:38 p.m. on October 24, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

I hiked Humphreys on the 21st.  It was an awesome hike!!! Very well maintained trail and even the last mile above treeline was straightforward.  I'll create another album for just that hike very soon.  Flag, as the locals call it, was a very nice town as well.  The historic downtown area was great.   Loved it there. Of course, I had to get some tee shirts from the locally owned outdoor stores there.  

10:54 a.m. on October 31, 2014 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,789 forum posts

My Dad had a ranch near Flag for 30 years. It has grown into a really nice town. I have fond memories of nights at the "Museum Club" an old log bar with live music. Now they have micro-breweries. The Snow Bowl is a great place. Don't forget Gene's Shoe Hospital a great bootery and western wear store. The Museum of Northern Arizona is not to be missed. NAU is still a great forestry school. Northern Arizona has one of the largest ponderosa pine, ppine forests in the world. Elk and turkeys are everywhere. It is not far to the Grand Canyon.

I lived briefly in Sedona 35 years ago before the crystal gazers got there. The Oak Creek Tavern is the place where the Western Artists of America was born.

12:04 p.m. on October 31, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,345 forum posts

ppine said: I lived briefly in Sedona 35 years ago before the crystal gazers got there.

I remember when I first went through Sedona in 1981 and its was just small town with beautiful red rocks. It sure has changed, now with $5 paid parking at trailheads, a $5 charge to do day hikes and $5 per dog. Slide Rock and West Oak Creek Secret Wilderness.

8:56 a.m. on November 1, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

I went to the Flagstaff Brewing Co my last day there.  They had great microbrews and the burgers were a solid 1/2 pound.  Very laid back atmosphere.  I would like to see the snowbowl in the winter time as well as the peaks.  I didn't see any elk during the hikes, although I did see tracks from time to time.  I'm sure they've moved to areas this time of year that see less use by humans.  I didn't get the chance to drive to Sedona, but on the flight to Phoenix, I was able to see it from the air.  Very Scenic even from high above.  It must be amazing to see from the ground perspective.  

7:59 p.m. on November 3, 2014 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,345 forum posts

I lived in Flagstaff from March 2009 to October 2011. Usually the best place to see elk is down along the Flagstaff Urban Trail which is also the Arizona Trail along its southern Flagstaff portion around Mormon Lake to the edge of the Mogollon Rim. I have also seen lots of elk in the fall just south of Flagstaff off US89 just above and west of the same rim. Usually I heard them bugling in the woods but saw them not. Its a chilling sound! I have heard them more in the Gros Ventre Mountains NE of Jackson than anywhere else.

1:28 p.m. on November 14, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,143 forum posts

Thanks for sharing this, Rob. I really like seeing pictures like yours from areas of the country (and world) I haven't had the chance to explore (yet).

I like the open, bald peaks.

June 16, 2019
Quick Reply