New Trail Buddy

4:06 a.m. on September 29, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,734 reviewer rep
1,142 forum posts

IMG_0602-1-.jpg

Harley is a 9-month-old German Shepherd-border collie mix, the same blend as our dear departed Ralph, who trotted off this mortal coil over 3 years ago. We adopted Harley three weeks ago today -- had to fly to Bergen and back to pick him up. His previous owner was a single mom who didn't have much time for him, which is why she decided to give him up, so he comes with issues with cars and other dogs. In the latter case, he gets frustrated that he can't approach and greet and ends up putting on a show of aggression. But yesterday a dog and owner came out of the woods as I was playing stick with him off leash. While I panicked, he ran over to the other dog, they gave each other a quick sniff and started playing. No big deal. So we're working on it.
IMG_0592.jpg

Last weekend we took him on his (probably) first real mountain tours, Inderbergsalen and Jørenvågsalen, a pair of day hikes on  the mountain-islands north of Kristiansund, with an overnight in a self service-hut a few km in on the second hike. I first did the latter peak a few years ago (last part of a mixed trip report), took a rare opportunity to ski neighboring Skarven last winter, and did the whole 20 km / 1500 m Tustna horseshoe travers in 4:40 last June with my daughter, but my wife hasn't spent as much time there and it is both gorgeous and uncrowded, and I hadn't done Inderbergsalen, so it was a good choice.
IMG_0626.jpg

He can pull mightily on the leash when he's excited, which means that I get the priveleg of holding the other end of the leash. he was pretty mellow going up, but pulled like crazy going down, an the trail was mostly steep, rocky, and/or muddy so I was pretty grumpy by the time we got back down on the second hike. I also realized his pulling makes me consume a lot more calories on runs -- I'm down about a kilo, and I don't have much to lose. We're working on it.

Anyway, here are some more photos of dog, wife, and scenery from the hikes.
GRS05299-1-.jpg
GRS05257-1-.jpg

GRS05361-1-.jpg

GRS05326-1-.jpg
GRS05311-1-.jpg
GRS05239-1-.jpg
IMG_0633.jpg

7:00 a.m. on September 29, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,294 reviewer rep
1,071 forum posts
Re: New trail buddy

Awesome, congrats Big Red! 

9:48 a.m. on September 29, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

I love dogs, especially in the field.  I have had multiple herding dogs for 50 years.  I have had one collie/g shep.  The more exercise he gets, the easier he will be to handle.  Get him tired and he will start to pay attention.  Teach him the commands and get him to behave on a leash after getting tired. Use a slip chain.  Pulling on a regular collar can damage his larynx. 

A dog that big can do damage to wildlife, other dogs and people.  You have a responsibility to get him trained so he can be off lead.  I really the look of Harley.  He looks plenty smart and athletic.  Let him carry a pack even on day hikes.  That is a lot of dog. 

1:09 p.m. on September 29, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
242 forum posts

There is nothing else like dog/human companionship. Looks like you found a good one with an excellent personality.

I had a Cairn Terrier for 17 years and he loved to hike and camp. At less than 20 lbs he could pull amazingly hard but he was super smart and would only pull on the uphills with his harness but not downhill. We became so close that communication was effortless and most times with a simple look or slight gesture. We had a system known only to ourselves.

Enjoy working with, playing with and living with your new companion.

11:25 a.m. on September 30, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,363 forum posts

What a beautiful dog (and hike), BigRed!

Harley is super lucky to have been adopted by your family. He will have wonderful adventures and lots of love. Have a fantastic time with your new furry family member.

12:39 p.m. on September 30, 2019 (EDT)
295 reviewer rep
1,436 forum posts

I had a Chow mix as a backpacking dog for 15 years and he could really carry some weight.  It was common for him to hump 17 days of his own food in his Adventure 16 dog pack.  Everybody tells me to get another backpacking dog but I don't know where to start, really.

Plus, a dog despite being a dear companion is a big hassle on the trails and in the woods. 

7:10 p.m. on September 30, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

Big hassle is a relative term.  I run into few people and never have problems with my dog.  She carriers her stuff and some of mine.  She is in charge of security especially when I am asleep.  I have been packing with dogs for 50 years.

7:46 a.m. on October 1, 2019 (EDT)
5,734 reviewer rep
1,142 forum posts

8 to 12 km of running over hill and dale at my old man speed doesn't do much to tire him out, but 40-50 frisbee throws get him pretty lathered up.

He carried Ralph's old pack with his own food and dish last weekend. I'm thinking we should put 3 liter water bladders on both sides just to see if it slows him down.

He wants to please but still has a wild side. He like to steal things around the house and then play keep away -- socks and handkerchiefs especially, but he has also picked up a pen, an Ikea hex key, a paring knife off the kitchen counter. Amusing but not a good habit. We're workin' on it.

Here he is at rest:
IMG_0662.jpg

11:34 a.m. on October 1, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

Carrying water is a good idea.  It is handy when you are on the trail.  He needs to use up his abundant energy.  Just keep the load balanced. 

7:50 a.m. on October 2, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,363 forum posts

He's so cute!

9:13 a.m. on October 2, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

I used to let my cowdogs trot behind my truck.  They would go 4-5 miles at a time.  We did some 25 mile days with a pack string.  My dog Snuffy would travel further than that keeping track of everyone.  She would eat lying down.  She lived to be 15 and could run on the last day of her life. 

11:11 p.m. on October 2, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Good on ya! He'll be a great dog before you know it. And I don't think you have to do anything special. Just be you and do what you do and he will figure it out. That's what dogs do. Sounds like he'll be a smart one too! Border Collie and Shepard...I like it! Our collie came with some baggage but we just treated him like our dog and he's doing great now after a couple of years and growing out of puppyness. And Max was the same way around other dogs too...at first. Now, he's the life of the party! Yours will be too, before you know it. Hope you have many many fun and happy years and lots of mile together! Cheers, Bob

1:07 a.m. on October 3, 2019 (EDT)
6 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm not sure it's fair to the rest of us to review a one-off "product" that none of us can have, too.  Happy for you, but sad that I can't get a "Harley"...

4:13 p.m. on October 16, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,956 reviewer rep
1,692 forum posts

What a great pooch!

Maybe he can pull sleds for you with all that energy. 

Mine loved pulling kick-sleds and even me on a mountain bike.  Pulling instincts are a gift to be managed.  He's lucky yo have you as a pet ;)

5:46 a.m. on October 17, 2019 (EDT)
5,734 reviewer rep
1,142 forum posts

Took him for a hike up nearby Jervfjellet ("wolverine mountain") on Sunday, above the big Jonsvatnet reservoir. He still pulls like a freight train sometimes, but if I drop the leash and let him go he will stay close (with a little reminding). Wouldn't put it past him to take off after a deer or moose, though. Even faithful old Ralph would do that.

IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg

7:59 a.m. on October 17, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,363 forum posts

He looks very regal on that mountain!

8:00 a.m. on October 17, 2019 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,960 forum posts

Beautiful hiking partner...I was hoping more people can learn tricks and get good advise from you if they want to do the same thing...He make a great hiking partner

February 23, 2020
Quick Reply