Q&A

Have a question about gps? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

A complex, high functionality watch that blew me away…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

A complex, high functionality watch that blew me away with all of its features! For three weeks now I've enjoyed getting more out of my trail runs, hikes, treadmill runs and gym sessions and all the other daily tracking capabilities! I find the GPS excellent and HR monitor superior to some I have tried before. For me, definitely worth the price so far!

Pros

• Seemingly endless functionality!
  • GPS and map function
  • Accuracy of HR monitor
  • Aesthetically pleasing and rugged
  • Battery life

Cons

• Learning how to use it takes time
  • Lack of App options in Garmin Connect

As a first time Garmin user I am impressed, but I suppose that is to be expected with the Garmin Fenix 5X! The GPS accuracy has been on point for my trail and road runs as well as the HR monitor. Of course there are some moments where the HR has an oddball reading, but that can be expected when very sweaty and mobile... I've seen some negative reviews on the HR wrist function but it seems people want perfection (nearly impossible).

The MAP function is pretty sweet once you get the hang of it (which goes for just about everything else on the watch). I haven't been at risk of getting lost since using the watch, but it definitely tracked where I was with enough accuracy to find my way back if I had.

At first I was not impressed with how it tracked strength training sessions, but once I got used to how it works, I really enjoy it. That honestly goes for most of the features on the watch... until I took the time to learn it I was a little lost, but once I did I found it was worth it.

I've seen critics of its size/weight when running... I don't find to be bothersome but it really probably comes down to user preference.

It seems like I am figuring out a new feature every few days, whether it be an app or a widget or just a built in capability of the watch. I've always been an athlete/runner/hiker/backpacker but never really tracked anything other than my pace using my phone or maps, and I likely would not have bought this for myself (it was a gift).

Having now used it I definitely would have purchased it had I known the difference it makes. Well worth it.

Below are a few screen shots from my use:
Screenshot_2018-12-10-13-14-21.png
Screenshot_2018-12-10-13-14-51.png

Screenshot_2018-12-10-13-10-12.png

Experience

Has been great using it for three weeks now. I've tested it on trail runs, road runs, treadmill runs, strength training sessions, and general daily use.

I've had a Garmin Fenix 3HR for three years or so now and I generally love it. Thanks for the review.

andrew f.

helpful review. photos of some screens you like would be an interesting addition. I use a simpler Garmin, the forerunner 235. all their devices can wirelessly link to a chest strap and provide very accurate heart monitoring; they're all waterproof and useful for swimming/boating as a result; and the app universe, while small, does some good things for fitness - mine doesn't have built in tracking for swimming, but i loaded a very good app to do that.

Jake W

I’m still using the Fenix 3 as well Alicia, I havnt seen enough of a jump in the recent models to justify the money (yet!). I was thinking of doing a review recently but it would be a real hard review to write with all the info/functions to go over

Alex BRAND REP

No problem Alicia! Glad to share! Andrew, I'll try getting some screenshots uploaded, and I actually do intend to get the HR chest strap soon.

Thanks, Alex! I personally prefer a chest HR strap for the accuracy.

Thanks for adding those screenshots, Alex.