Outdoor Research Transcendent Mitts

These mittens are a LIFESAVER! I struggle with cold…

Summary

These mittens are a LIFESAVER! I struggle with cold fingers in the winter due to extremely poor circulation, and these mittens are the only ones to be able to warm them up from their numb stage... my hands always end up sweating after I put them on.

Pros

• Warmth
  • Easy handling ability with them on

Cons

• Tearable palm-side fabric
  • Not waterproof

I have found these gloves to be a wonder of the world, for a reasonable price. I have Raynaud's, yet cannot sit inside...even on the coldest of days. The Transcendent mitts are sleeping bags for your hands. If that doesn't answer the comfort of these gloves, I don't know what will. These mittens are filled with down, the inside has a thin fleece-like soft fabric; they are lovely.

6B27E094-F92F-4617-9BEF-A3F345BA6A8A.jpg
Easy to slip on and off while transitioning from skin to ski.

The dexterity I have because of the material is great. Most other mittens have a more rigid or waterproof fabric, and heavier insulation, so it is hard to grab things or have precision if you can. I have used the Transcendent mitts fat-biking many times. I can feel the brake handles through the gloves, and they are flexible enough to have two fingers do the work without the other fingers getting in the way. I can open caps and zippers better that other mittens.

Down no longer does its job when wet. While I have had them get damp and less warm, they are as water resistant as I would imagine. Sometimes I am afraid they will get too wet from all the sweat my hands produce in them, but that hasn't happened. If having a more water resistant fabric was a trade-off for the flexibility and dexterity of the gloves, I wouldn't change it.

Skiing in 5-degree weather, plus a wind chill! Hands... happy as a clam!

As mentioned, my hands do sweat in these mittens. The moisture doesn't seem to go anywhere. I have not experienced any bad side effects of having this moisture thus far. I always have a dry set of less warm gloves in case that does become a problem. Other than that, these mittens are all you need. I do not wear any liner or smaller glove under, as i feel like it separates me from the incredibly warm downness of a sleeping bag.

The fabric on the palm and fingers of the mitten is easily torn. I ripped both both thumbs. They are not big rips, but I am wondering how they will survive without that top layer. I most likely tore them from using ski poles, but I am not positive.

The thumbs have ripped fabric. You can notice the shiny fabric on the inside gloves ad

The gloves have loop tags on them to clip them onto bags or jackets, but I have not utilized those. I can throw them in my bag and find them immediately because of their wonderful bright orange color :) They also have the hooks to clip them to each other to keep track of them.

I have the Outdoor Research Highcamp Mitts that are very good at retaining heat. I thought they were top of the line. I would hike up a mountain, and slip those on at the top when it was above treeline and much colder, when I could feel my blood draining from my fingers rapidly. Many times I would need to shove a handwarmer in to boost the blood flow first. Then I started using these Transcendent mittens, which are able to warm up my hands (the same if not faster than handwarmers), and then keep the warm.

I started using these mittens in December 2016. I have made great use of them alpine touring, cross country skiing, fatbiking, and hiking. I might be heavily biased towards these mittens because of Raynaud's disease, but they are the perfect gloves if warmth is your top priority—with no batteries needed!

Great review, Molly! I do not have Raynaud's (I'm sorry to hear you do), but suffer from hand circulation issues as soon as I stop moving. So managing my hands in winter is always an issue, depending on the activity. Thanks for sharing your experience with these mitts.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney) BRAND REP

I had an old pair of Eddie Bauer down mitts long ago. They even had wool topsides for easy wipe and extra insulation. I loved them, so it was nice to see some other brands carrying on the tradition.

G00SE

Nice review. What a great price on these!

telebruce

Nice review! I also suffer from cold hands. Try wearing these inside an OR Mount Baker shell. Get the shell oversize so the down mittens will fit without too much compression. Hand dexterity will be near useless but they will be warm and stay much dryer. I also use Dachstein wool mittens inside my liners. Quite warm for me even when damp.

Adam Logan

Thanks for your review, I'm always on the lookout for a decent pair of gloves as a person with Raynauds. It's astonishing that gloves have not advanced more technology-wise than they have. Sweaty hands is manageable for day trips, but I imagine the same could prove disastrous for longer trips in the backcountry or in extreme conditions. What do you use for everyday life?

Molly Maloy

Thanks for the feedback! I should look into those wool mittens, telebruce!

Molly Maloy

Adam, I agree. Even recently I used them on a weekend trip and they did not dry completely one of the nights so they weren't working their best on the last day (thankfully it was the last and shortest stint of the trip). For everyday life, I find fleece half-finger gloves with the flip up mittens. Full finger gloves don't do anything for me, so these allow me to wear mittens but flip them down for dexterity. I've found these to work fine*, but I am surprised there's not more out there. I did get a pair of Cannondale's warmest biking gloves, which are okay, but for everyday life I like having easy access to my fingers with the flip ups. *a lot of intermittent underarm warming is needed as a supplement when the weather is very cold :) Any suggestions welcome!

Pika1

Thank you for the review Molly. I have a question for you regarding these mitts??? I have been looking for some good warm mitts to help keep my poor cold fingers warm during winter outdoor activities (including winter camping) here in Canada. I'm just curious what type to temperatures you have used these in? When the temperature drops here -40's C/F I refrain from outdoor activities, but still am out and about at -15F. Have you put these to the test at this temperature?

Old Guide

Like Dianne, I too am curious about the temperature, but regardless a nice review. Thanks

Molly Maloy

@Diane and Old Guide: I have used the gloves in the single digits (Fahrenheit ).. sometimes with a wind chill on top of that. I guess I can call myself lucky that it doesn't get to -15F around where I live very often...! But at a certain point, cold is cold and these mitts have warmed them up from being very cold. Also, I have not camped with these mitts. I am always doing an activity that increases my heart rate so maybe that changes it a little. That being said, I think they would still be your best bet for winter camping; they are quite literally sleeping bags for your hands, and at a cold campsite that is what I jump in to get warm. If I were to go camping in those temperatures I would wear these with some sort of shell on the outside to keep in all heat in and make sure they aren't getting wet. Hope that helps.

Old Guide

Thanks Molly and take care.

1 year ago

Very warm mittens. Really good for cold weather. I…

Summary

Very warm mittens. Really good for cold weather. I would recommend them for cold weather hikes or camping, or cold morning waits at the bus stop.

Pros

• Warm
  • Easy on, easy off

Cons

• Don't get them wet
  • Palm material is "noisy"
  • No stuff sack included

The Outdoor Research Transcendent Mittens are very warm, easy to put on, easy off. The fit is snug, but comfortable. Not really tight, no squeezing of the wrists or cuffs. not too certain if the material is water resistant. I would not get the mitts wet, just in case.

The palm material is "noisy", but grips things well. Some reviewers of these mitts have said that they would not use them everyday. I suspect that is due to the material these mitts are made from. I imagine they are a little more robust than that.

So far the coldest temps I have worn them in was 35°.F with a breeze. My hands felt warm without any feeling of getting too warm to wear. Had no trouble using zipper pulls with them on.

I can easily recommend these mitts to anyone who wants warm hands during the cold weather.

Thanks for the review of your mitts, Alan!

G00SE

I need these! Thanks for the review, Alan.