Terra Nova Tent Breaks Guinness World Record

Terra Nova's Laser Ultra 1 has been named the Lightest Tent Commercially by Guinness World Record.

Terra Nova has smashed the Guinness World Record for the lightest tent commercially available with its Laser Ultra 1.

The company recently received confirmation that the tent, which weighs just under 600 grams, is now the record holder. It took the title from the Terra Nova Laser Photon, trimming over 200 grams, or 26 percent, off the record in the process.

Terra Nova was awarded the Guinness World Record for the Lightest Tent Commercially Available for the first time in 2004. The Terra Nova Laserlite was a one person tent weighing just over 1kg, the same weight as a bag of sugar. Seven years and four Guinness World Records later, the Lightest Tent Commercially Available weighs nearly half of that at a mere 581 grams (1 lb 4.49 oz).

The Laser Ultra 1 has been designed for short duration ultra events. Although its style follows that of the popular Laser tent range developed by Terra Nova, the most striking difference is the colour; the silver translucent Ultra fabric used for the flysheet is incredibly lightweight but strong.

The Laser Ultra 1 tent won a Gold European IF Design Award when it was launched at to the trade in July 2010 at the Outdoor show in Friedrichshafen, Germany.

Terra Nova Managing Director, Andy Utting said, "It is great to see our investment in new technologies paying off. When we launched the Laserlite, people were sceptical of the robustness of such lightweight tents. Seven years later, a single person tent has to be less than 1kg to be considered light, and our designs have become the blue print for the competition."

About Terra Nova Equipment
Terra Nova Equipment has been designing award winning tents and outdoor equipment for over 25 years. Its tents have been used all over the world from the summit of Everest to the North and South Poles. More recently Terra Nova has successfully developed superlight backpacking tents and rucksacks and holds the Guinness World Record for the lightest tent in the world.

Filed under: Gear News

Related Content

Terra Nova

Comments

chenry
May 18, 2011 at 1:36 p.m. (EDT)

1.28 lbs is is easier

May 18, 2011 at 2:07 p.m. (EDT)

So I just did a quick price search.... $589-$700.... OUCH !!! Might be worth it for some people I suppose but with all the other light tents out there I'd have to pass. I don't feel the cost justifies the weight savings. I am sure they will come out with a lighter model somewhere down the road, maybe made from 2 ply, super stregth, silicone impregnated tissue paper. :)

Kudos to Terra Nova on the accomplishment though. That's definitely light.

May 18, 2011 at 2:17 p.m. (EDT)

FYI, I added the weight in lbs and ounces to the article: 1 lb 4.49 oz

Callahan
May 18, 2011 at 5:43 p.m. (EDT)

Light tent that also lightens your wallet.  With all the weight I would save I could not afford to buy anything else.

matt moore
May 19, 2011 at 3:52 a.m. (EDT)

Hi

Just so you know we offer a full range of lightweight tents in other materials at lower price points

Regards

Matt

May 19, 2011 at 9:15 a.m. (EDT)

The Laser Comp or Photon 1 would seem like a more feasible choice as far as weight savings and being wallet friendly. I have a slight bit of experience with the Comp. A friend has one and I used it a few times when I was on my search for a solo. Nice tents.

May 19, 2011 at 9:43 a.m. (EDT)

I got a different number on the weight conversion(1.280886lbs.) Grrrrrrrr.