Petzl recalls Scorpio via ferrata lanyards
Following a via ferrata accident on Thursday, May 5, Petzl launched a voluntary product safety alert to inspect its Scorpio via ferrata lanyards manufactured prior to May 19, 2011.
Petzl's internal investigation and analysis of its manufacturing procedures specific to the production of tear webbing energy absorbers has identified a weakness which could explain the defect leading to the cause of this accident.
The relevant Scorpio product references are: L60, L60 CK, L60 2, L60 2CK, L60 H, L60 WL, K29VF 1, K29VF 2, K29VE 1, K29VE 2, K29V 1, K29V 2. (Visit Petzl for current list of affected products.)
Petzl also issued a request for immediate self-inspection for all Absorbica energy absorbers manufactured before May 17, 2011, up to serial number 11137****.
The relevant Absorbica product references are: L57, L58, L58 MGO, L59, L59 MGO, L59 69, L70120 YG, L70150 IM, L70150 YM, L70150 I, L70150 Y, L70150 YM. (Visit Petzl for current list of affected products.)
As a consequence Petzl has decided to take the following actions:
- Temporary stoppage of all Petzl tear webbing lanyard production.
- Temporary stoppage of the sale of all stock of Scorpio and Absorbica tear webbing lanyards for inspection before resuming sales.
Extension of the product safety alert of 13.05.11 to include all Petzl Scorpio energy absorbing lanyards sold up to 19th May 2011 (up to serial number 11137****).
What to Do
If you possess a Scorpio via ferrata lanyard as detailed above Petzl asks you to:
immediately stop using it!
- contact Petzl America by telephone: (877) 740-3826 (toll free number) or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you possess an Absorbica energy absorber as detailed above Petzl asks you to:
- immediately stop using it;
- inspect your energy absorber using Petzl's special inspection procedure,
- send inspection's results and quantity of inspected products to your Petzl local distributor.
Zyper and Zyper Vertigo Unaffected
The via ferrata lanyards Zyper and Zyper Vertigo are not concerned by this alert for inspection. You may continue to use these products, whilst respecting the conditions of use, maintenance, and inspection outlined in their respective technical notices.