More winter, says woodchuck

An unnamed groundhog/woodchuck/marmot.

Good news for winter lovers: the groundhog saw his shadow this morning, thereby "predicting" six more weeks of winter snowshoeing, skiing, climbing, and hiking.

Personally, I think Groundhog Day and its ceremonial Punxsutawney festivities celebrated by men in top hats is all a bit odd. But, since the word from Phil is good, I'll happily pass along the positive winter news.

Hey, Marmot should really get on board as "official outdoor sponsor" of this holiday. Then the guys down in Pennsylvania could ditch the top hats and long formal coats for something more appropriate.

Filed under: Events

Comments

trouthunter
February 2, 2010 at 6:41 p.m. (EST)

We need a woodchuck here in SC!

I dread Spring in a way because I know summer is right around the corner and I dislike anything above 80F.

February 2, 2010 at 11:17 p.m. (EST)

Phil is a great lil guy. The local news channels here in Pa. go nuts over this type of stuff.

February 3, 2010 at 7:18 a.m. (EST)

Trout, I'm not a big fan of regular temps over 80 either, particularly since hot and humid seem to go together up here.

Rick, it's not just the local news channels that go nuts over Phil! He has a strong following.

February 3, 2010 at 12:31 p.m. (EST)

I am waiting to see Phil on TMZ. I can see what you're sayin Alicia. They just previewed a Superbowl commercial here w/a Pittsburgh Steeler that is a "Groundhog Day" spin-off. Its actually kinda funny.

trouthunter
February 3, 2010 at 1:06 p.m. (EST)

I think the Top Hats lend the event credibility, if a bunch of hillbillies were hosting the event no one would pay attention, that wouldn't be fair to the groundhog.

February 3, 2010 at 1:22 p.m. (EST)

Ha ha...one vote for the top hats!

I can see where you're coming from. The ceremony would not have quite the same pomp if everyone in the "inner circle" was wearing fur trappers hats or the like.

February 3, 2010 at 1:40 p.m. (EST)

Looks like Phil had the "sniffles." Someone should have wiped the poor lil guys nose.

Jim S
February 3, 2010 at 4:09 p.m. (EST)

Or wearing gopher skin hats.

Jim S

trouthunter
February 3, 2010 at 4:21 p.m. (EST)

Just so no one misunderstands, I consider myself a refined hillbilly, so no slam intended on hill folk. Just thought it was funny.

If both your car and your house are up on blocks........

February 5, 2010 at 3:51 a.m. (EST)

My hiking buddy says I would make the "best hillbilly ever" hmmmmm. I classify it as a skill.....

yock
February 5, 2010 at 9:40 a.m. (EST)

I make the transition between suburbanite computer programmer to hillbilly fairly smoothly with the proper application of music and spirits. I can't say that it does much to improve my outdoor skills though. =)

We're getting a reminder that it's still Winter today in southwestern Ohio. I guess ol' Phil saw this ice storm long before our high falootin' meteorologists.

February 6, 2010 at 5:12 a.m. (EST)

Yeah we are getting hit good here in Pittsburgh. Last check 17" and still comin down steady.

yooperman
February 6, 2010 at 12:21 p.m. (EST)

i was wondering when were going to get some.

February 7, 2010 at 3:50 p.m. (EST)

I have 27" in my back yard, 3" more coming Tuesday. Hey yooperman, I could send ya some via UPS or FedEx. Not sure if it would still be snow by the time it got there though.