Bizarre OR (or don't take it all too seriously)

Walking mascots, odd gear, the occasional scantily clad "baselayer" model — sometimes things at Outdoor Retailer make your head swivel involuntarily. Here are a few surprises from the Winter OR trade show last month. Sorry, no underwear models below, though we did feature one from Icebreaker last year.

Olympia Granola Guy

It's Olympia Granola Guy! Minnesota energy bar maker Olympia Granola featured one of the best mascots at OR. The granola guy is actually Jon Walburg, who said that when he took the costume off at the show and talked to people, they had no idea it was him, the granola guy. This amazing costume even featured a full cape, though no actual granola.

Prosthetic Beards?

One would think that bearded men were represented well enough in the outdoor recreation crowd. Now, not one, but two separate companies are offering warm, wearable beards for those who can't or don't want to rock natural beards. In Beard Head's Viking model above, note that the bearded knit hat not only covers the head, but also includes a large mustache. Beard Head also offers Lumberjack, Pirate, Grandpa, and other models.

For those seeking a less comprehensive beard solution, Five O'clock Shadow offers lighter, more conservative hand-knitted beards in a variety of sizes, weights, and colors. Note that these beards do not feature the extensive mustache of the Beard Head beards and the neck portion is slightly less bulky. Also note that the model here is, due to reasons of gender, sadly CB (congenitally beardless). Now Five O'clock Shadow (slogan: "now you're a man") has come to her rescue.

Rocking Out

While OR is a bustle of work activity, for some 4 or 5 p.m. signals "beer-o'clock." That's when many wind down a long day filled with meetings to socialize, network, and even rock out a bit. While checking out gloves at Mountain Hardwear I noticed something a bit Spinal Tap was afoot. Perhaps a prankster? Perhaps Mountain Hardwear is telling us to take going outside a bit less seriously?

Comments

February 3, 2012 at 11:50 a.m. (EST)

I admit I was surprised to realize that two different companies were making beards and that it seemed to be some sort of mini trend, not a lone misguided hat.

I did get my picture taken with Granola Guy though, who was snapping shots for their Facebook page.

398710_273973679332599_146807562049212_7

Wolfman (Wolfgang Greystoke)
February 3, 2012 at 12:07 p.m. (EST)

Your just a bad person Alicia!!!  :P

Sending me looking for base layer super model and WAM, some Goat Dude in his Undies!!!  That will scar me for LIFE!!  :D

Great stuff, keep up the great work!

Wolfman

February 3, 2012 at 12:43 p.m. (EST)

I still remember "Goat Dude." He kinda haunts me at times. If I remember correctly he even made it in an issue of BP mag.

Alicia, you look ecstatic to be hanging out with Granola guy.

I really do not know what to say about the whole "add a beard" thing.

February 3, 2012 at 12:52 p.m. (EST)

Wolfman said:

Your just a bad person Alicia!!!  :P

Great stuff, keep up the great work!

Wolfman

Ha! Sorry about that tease (kind of). The sheep guy actually does have a female counterpart sometimes. They were hanging out in front of the Icebreaker booth at some point at this past show, minus his big head. She didn't look all that happy though, so I opted not to stop and ask for a picture of them together.

February 3, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. (EST)

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Alicia, you look ecstatic to be hanging out with Granola guy.

I really do not know what to say about the whole "add a beard" thing.

Granola Guy was very nice and quite energetic considering it was late in the day after a few days at the show. Must be all that natural good energy or something. I've got to admire a person who's happy hanging out in a costume among strangers for days and is nice about it.

Olympia Granola has albums of pics on Facebook from the show with people who look even more excited than me to get their pictures taken. I do look a bit oddly excited about a giant granola bar. Maybe I was hungry.

Bill S
February 3, 2012 at 1:27 p.m. (EST)

In the linked thread from last year, Alicia commented she wished she had met Messner. This year, there was a reception for Messner, sponsored by the American Alpine Club, and Alicia DID get to meet Messner, and I think had a photo taken of her with him. So, Alicia, post the photo!

IMGP0008.jpg

February 3, 2012 at 1:31 p.m. (EST)

Bill is correct. I'll post that photo in my own blog of random OR photos next week. There are Bear and Reinhold photos in there.

In the meantime, I actually have them uploaded to my profile already, so you can see them now if you like. Yup, I was very very excited to hear and meet Messner.

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

Seth Levy (Seth)
February 6, 2012 at 10:19 a.m. (EST)

Though I didn't see it - Granola dude told me that many of the other mascots at OR were praising his costume.  A case of excessive mascot ego? Or is granola the common denominator between mascots?

giftogab
REVIEW CORPS
February 6, 2012 at 11:08 a.m. (EST)

WOW! Messner.........how very cool! When I think of athletes I am rarely star struck. Least not in arena sports....but extreme sports like topping mountains and riding 1500 miles on a bike...that stuff is amazing to me.

GaryPalmer
February 6, 2012 at 5:45 p.m. (EST)

giftogab said: extreme sports like topping mountains and riding 1500 miles on a bike...that stuff is amazing to me

30 years ago I could ride 1500 miles in 15 days. How about the RAAM (Race Across America Marathon). That ride goes from the east coast to the west coast in as little as 8 days and almost 3000 miles.

Louis-Alexis
March 27, 2012 at 4:58 p.m. (EDT)

They should have the mascot do an obstacle run to see with one is the best. Add a little wipe out in it...