How many cats or bacon slices can you fit in a pack?

REI just released this infographic on "How to Choose & Use a Backpack." In a brief layout, it covers a fair amount of introductory info for the beginning pack buyer/carrier in an easy-to-read format.

What do you think? Got other pack fit or loading tips you'd share? Do you find pack volumes accurate? How big, or small, of a pack do you use for multi-day backcountry trips?

And, how many bacon slices can you fit in your pack? [We don't recommend carrying greasy bacon slices or cats (cooperative or not) in your pack in bear country.]

Backpacks Infographic: How to Find the Right Backpack for You

Filed under: Funny, Buyers' Guides

Comments

mikemorrow
March 5, 2012 at 6:43 p.m. (EST)

100_0687.jpg

giftogab
REVIEW CORPS
March 5, 2012 at 6:58 p.m. (EST)

The number of cats I can carry depends on whether they are filets or ground. It is easier to fit the cat jerkey in flat pockets than the round catmeat balls. Especiially if you consider the filler needed to hold the catmeat balls together.  Just sayin. I never take bacon because it doesn't last long enough beyond cooking. Once my cat ate teh bacon, which is how I learned how many cats I could fit in my pack.

Jake W
March 5, 2012 at 7:01 p.m. (EST)

^

Ha ha ha, this is great Mike!

March 5, 2012 at 7:56 p.m. (EST)

Love the cat, Mike. How cute.

Your cat looks like it owns that pack. Maybe it's thinking, "now where's my bacon?!"

Tipi Walter
March 5, 2012 at 8:09 p.m. (EST)

45-3-little-dog-in-johns-pack-at-crowdrs

My buddy Johnny B investigates the usefulness of his Kelty Ultra Tioga pack with a test run using a young dog.  Satisfied, the pack becomes part of his standard load.

giftogab
REVIEW CORPS
March 5, 2012 at 10:41 p.m. (EST)

Where's the love? That was some of my best stuff. :/

Patman
REVIEW CORPS
March 6, 2012 at 9:28 a.m. (EST)

Karen,

Perhaps Trailspace isn’t quite ready for cat consumption humor. :)

But it did make me chuckle.

Although, my cat is a nasty vile animal not worthy of consideration for inclusion in the food chain. She rolls in dead things like a dog and is constantly covered in dirt and filth; a far cry from the stereotype of a cat as clean animal.

On the backpack article,

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve got to have more than 50 liters of space for even an overnight. I guess the season would have an impact as well; my winter bag is much bulkier than the thin little blanket I use in summer and I carry more clothes in the winter too.

alan
March 6, 2012 at 12:39 p.m. (EST)

My kids bought me a stuffed monkey to bring along on solo trips so I wouldn't be alone.  I named him Wilson after the basketball from the Tom Hanks movie.  Much easier to pack than a cat.

Callahan
March 7, 2012 at 10:43 p.m. (EST)

Survival bacon in a can is a lot of slices.

giftogab
REVIEW CORPS
March 7, 2012 at 10:58 p.m. (EST)

Yeah, but if the cat comes with you and you get stranded....well.....just sayin. It has its own ability to walk so no carry weight. It kills its own food......and if the you get stranded, I don't know, say on Donner's Pass.....

ocalacomputerguy
March 8, 2012 at 8:25 a.m. (EST)

Gift said:

I assume this this incident led to you figuring out the fillet/meat ball/jerky options?

Pat said:

I think you have a reincarnated dog. It must be being punished for chasing too many cats.

As for my backpack. If I go out on an overnight hike with my son (9)  I can easily fill up my 85L.  3-man tent, 2 sleeping pads, my sleeping bag, 1 or 2 3 liter bladders, and stove/pot are the big bulking things that fill it up.

One of these days when I can afford it I'll replace the pads with something less bulky.

Seth Levy (Seth)
March 9, 2012 at 8:43 a.m. (EST)

As the proud owner of nearly 3,000 polyethelene plastic spheres, I can say with total confidence that stuffing a pack with cats might be easier!

March 9, 2012 at 9:57 a.m. (EST)

Someone say bacon?

March 9, 2012 at 2:52 p.m. (EST)

giftogab said:

The number of cats I can carry depends on whether they are filets or ground.

Barf!

I am wondering what survival course/tv show did you get this recipe from.  Think I'd rasther eat toe jam from a troll's feet.

ocalacomputerguy
March 9, 2012 at 3:14 p.m. (EST)

whomeworry said:

giftogab said:

The number of cats I can carry depends on whether they are filets or ground.

Barf!

I take it you like a good stinky cheese and don't eat in china town?

pub spears
March 10, 2012 at 1:32 p.m. (EST)

I was expecting a discussion on biscuit recipes.

giftogab
REVIEW CORPS
March 20, 2012 at 9:12 a.m. (EDT)

ocalacomputerguy said:

whomeworry said:

giftogab said:

The number of cats I can carry depends on whether they are filets or ground.

Barf!

I take it you like a good stinky cheese and don't eat in china town?

That was funny.

Backpackerguy
March 20, 2012 at 8:10 p.m. (EDT)

From experience, you can usually fit 2 average cats in a standard crock-pot,,,

so, unless you carry more than 1 crock-pot, then the answer is 2 cats.

The nice thing, is that the 2 cats can split the load;

1 cat carries the pot, the other cat carries the lid. Obviously, you'd be on your own for carrying the crock-pot after the Crock-Pot Cat Casserole.

Don't forget the onions and garlic...

phraber
March 25, 2012 at 10:57 p.m. (EDT)

axe the spammer!

dingo
March 27, 2012 at 4:16 p.m. (EDT)

How is the tactical bacon? I've seen it in stores, bit could never bring my self to buy a can. As much as I love bacon. I was afraid it would ruin me.

March 27, 2012 at 7:22 p.m. (EDT)

dingo said:

Tactical Bacon?  If you mean the Ready to eat stuff in a box it is good.

You must be a highly domesticated dingo!  Given the topic references cats, and your nom du jour, I was expecting a comment on cat and road kill recipes.

ocalacomputerguy
March 27, 2012 at 9:50 p.m. (EDT)

Found this looking for Tactical Bacon
51uiSdu1b8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Product Description No foolin' - Unicorn meat is real! Excellent source of sparkles! Rick Bite Unicorns, as we all know, frolic all over the world, pooping rainbows and marshmallows wherever they go. What you don't know is that when unicorns reach the end of their lifespan, they are drawn to County Meath, Ireland. The Sisters at Radiant Farms have dedicated their lives to nursing these elegant creatures through their final days. Taking a cue from the Kobe beef industry, they massage each unicorn's coat with Guinness daily and fatten them on a diet comprised entirely of candy corn. As the unicorn ages, its meat becomes fatty and marbled and the living bone in the horn loses density in a process much like osteoporosis. The horn's outer layer of keratin begins to develop a flavor very similar to candied almonds. Blending the crushed unicorn horn into the meat adds delightful, crispy flavor notes in each bite. We are confident you will find a world of bewilderment in every mouthful of scrumptious unicorn meat. Tasty Magical Beast Diagram Parts Unfortunately, due to restrictions on the importation of mythical processed meat stuff, we are unable to bring you Canned Unicorn Meat in the way the Sisters of Radiant Farms intended. When you open your can, you will find one tiny unicorn which has been appropriately sliced into its main cuts of meat. Simply use your Growth Ray to re-embiggen the unicorn before skinning it and processing its flesh. Or if you're lazy, just bring it to your local Mad Scientist-Butcher. He'll know what to do.

March 28, 2012 at 9:33 p.m. (EDT)

ocalacomputerguy said:

Found this looking for Tactical Bacon
51uiSdu1b8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Product Description ...

Based on the accompanying text, I guess you recommend the unicorn marinated in single malt, with shamrocks and magic mushrooms recipe.

March 28, 2012 at 10:12 p.m. (EDT)

Rick Bite Unicorns? Ummmmm....

apeman
March 29, 2012 at 5:10 p.m. (EDT)

I would guess that getting a cat(s) into a back pack would depend upon two variables, that being the size of the pack and of course the size of the cat(s). Hercules is a Liger weighing in at 904 lbs. With Ligers being recognized as the largest breed of cat in the world he is the largest non-obese liger that is alive today. He is listed as the largest cat in the world by the Guinness Book of World Records.

I don't suspect your going to get any of him in a backpack of any size.

Regarding the bacon, would not the number of slices depend on how long one slices the bacon and how thick each if the slices is.

So the federal park system does not allow pet's and pack animals.  Does it address food on the hoof?  Why not bring mr. piggy with you and then you don't have to put any bacon in your pack?

From everything that I can gather these are real pictures that are not Photoshopped.
liger1.jpg

Lends a new meaning to "here kity, kity.............."
n1550786082_30162442_5222.jpg

Maybe this kitty is so large because he eat's Unicorn's?

rob5073
REVIEW CORPS
March 29, 2012 at 7:14 p.m. (EDT)

I want a Liger

ocalacomputerguy
March 29, 2012 at 9:04 p.m. (EDT)

How many  bacon stuffed packs can fit in a liger?

March 29, 2012 at 9:35 p.m. (EDT)

How many  bacon stuffed packs can fit in a liger?

All of them.

Mt2Mt
April 1, 2012 at 12:48 a.m. (EDT)

Sometimes my back veers off to one side. It slips down over one shoulder.

Is that due to careless packing?

April 1, 2012 at 12:57 a.m. (EDT)

Mt2Mt said:

Sometimes my back veers off to one side. It slips down over one shoulder.

Is that due to careless packing?

Perhaps.  But usually when my pack behaves in such fashion, it is because one of the shoulder straps are adjusted to different lengths, or my posture creates a slouch to one side.

April 1, 2012 at 1:21 a.m. (EDT)

Sometimes my back veers off to one side. It slips down over one shoulder.

Is that due to careless packing?

Hey Mt2Mt, welcome to Trailspace.

To add to Ed's response I would also think that the sternum strap would have a bit to do with this as well being it would draw the pack shoulder harness straps in closer together on your chest.