day hike near chattanooga

3:17 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Me and my wife are going to be taking a weekend trip to rising fawn, ga (about 30 min from chattanooga) and we were looking to do a simple day hike. I need some advice on what would be the best trails to look at. I want something not too difficult that can be done roundtrip in about 5 hours or so. Pretty views/waterfalls/landmarks would be an added bonus. Thanks in advance!

6:33 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace jptrain,

Cloudland Canyon State Park is a great little spot located in Rising Fawn.

122 Cloudland Canyon Park Rd.

There is a Rim trail and a Gorge trail, both are beautiful. 

I used to hike it several times a year with my wife & kids.

You can find more info here:

Cloudland Canyon

..and some photos & reviews here.

Check it out, I think you will be glad you did, however there is no shortage of beautiful places to hike in the area.

9:23 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Trouthunter

Did you ever do any camping there?  The GA state park mentions some back country spots.

9:39 p.m. on September 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

We did not camp there, last time I checked (last year) they still had a camp area with cabins and such. We had planned to return there, but my work fell off and we scrubbed the trip.

The trails are fairly developed with hand rails, steps, ect. and the area has a lot of visitors at times. It seemed to me that most people hiked the gorge trail to see the falls and wade in the huge plunge pool.

9:00 a.m. on September 21, 2011 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

thanks for that advice. the place looks great! 

4:09 p.m. on September 21, 2011 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

anyone else have any suggestions?

7:46 a.m. on September 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I live in Chattanooga and Trout lived here for years. I would second his opinion if you're going to be in Rising Fawn and want a good dayhike that kind of shows it all to you.

There's a couple of other locations I could suggest like North Chickamauga Pocket Wilderness up around Soddy Daisy, but it's north of Chattanooga and a bit of a haul for coming out of Rising Fawn. If you want to stretch out a bit, you could head up to the Cumberlands and do Savage Gulf. That would be about a two hour trip from Rising Fawn.

I think the best bet is Cloudland Canyon. A beautiful easy hike with views and waterfalls. You'll enjoy it.

Don't think there's backcountry camping at Cloudland. They have the campsites and the place is too small anyway. The biggest hike is the North Rim Trail and you can do that in a matter of a few hours.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply