Favorite season?

7:25 a.m. on September 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

So do you feel it? There's a little chill in the air. The days are getting shorter. The southern humidity here is going away. It's telling me it's time to get backpacking and hiking after this hot humid summer.

What's you alls favorite season to backpack?

I'm torn between spring and fall. They both have their great attribute. But I think fall overtakes spring by a smidgeon. The reason for me is because winter is just as much a backpacking season as spring and fall. But summer on the other hand here in the south for me is a no go. I hate the heat and humidity and pretty much stay away from backpacking those months. So, when fall comes around it's the opening of the season for me. Plus, I just love getting out in the woods and seeing the leaves. Looking at the autumn wildflowers blooming. As the leaves start falling, it reveals the awesome views around me that I missed in the spring and fall. I love hearing the crunch of leaves under my boots. And I love that by this time the tourists have left and the woods are more silent.

I'm taking my 4 year old out backpacking for the first time next weekend. Can't wait for my soul to be rejuvenated.

I pray that it touches her soul as well.

9:53 a.m. on September 25, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

I agree completely Rocklion.

Kudos to you for getting a little one out to experience nature, I am so glad I took my kids out while they were growing up, the rewards will last a lifetime. Nature touched their soul and the memories will touch mine until I die.

Fall is my favorite if I have to pick one because it brings an end to the dreadful heat & humidity!

It doesn't get much better for me than hiking in a cool cove alongside a flowing creek under a complete tree canopy knowing the summer is over.

Winter brings the opportunity to experience some cold weather, maybe even some sleet and snow. I love camping during the winter and I love experiencing a winter storm at higher elevation with a view so I can survey the landscape.

Spring is a renewal for lots of flora & fauna and a great chance to see new life all around you. The warmer temps make it fun to lighten up the load a little and hike in shorts and a button up shirt again.

And then there is Summer.....ugh.

11:46 a.m. on September 25, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,278 forum posts

This is tough because each season has its good points and its challenges:

- Summer - nice and warm, generally dry (in the Sierra), it's not too often that one has to hike or camp in the rain [but those hot days & clear blue skies can get monotonous :)]

- Fall - still warm days (though cold nights), insects usually gone or minimal, that "crisp" feel to the air [but it can be cold at night, could snow at any time, and ... winter is around the corner]

- Spring - the earth is waking up and plants are coming alive ... the days are warm, a nice change from the winter. [but can be very buggy, still wet - difficult creek crossings, and snow, especially at high elevations]

- Winter - it's sooooo quiet, generally less crowded, and very beautiful in a different kind of way [but it's cold, brrrrrrr! and requires carrying a ton of extra gear, have to deal with things freezing, harder to get fresh water, etc]

Each one has its good points.  I'd say overall my favorite time in the Sierra is  mid-late summer/early fall. 

1:38 p.m. on September 25, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Mid fall through winter, no bugs. And you can see a lot further while you are in the woods.

1:46 p.m. on September 25, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Late Spring or late Fall

7:17 p.m. on September 25, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Didn't we just have this topic?

Ed

7:36 p.m. on September 25, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,278 forum posts

yep, but a new season just started :)

8:42 p.m. on September 25, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

Sorry. Was gone a few months.

Forgive me for being all pumped up. :-)

9:11 a.m. on September 26, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

I'm with you!  In the Louisiana/ Arkansas area, the leaves in color are a great time of year.

12:44 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Mine has always been winter.

I'm a native of Pittsburgh and always really enjoyed hiking and camping in the snow.

I now live in Central Florida and my favorite time is early November thru eary april.

12:48 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Love the smell of Fall. Fall and winter is a toss-up for me. 

3:59 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,295 forum posts

they all have something to recommend them, and i really like the change of seasons.  one reason i love being out year-round is to experience how the same trail varies.

but, winter is my favorite, especially on the heights.  yes, it's cold, the gear is heavy, and the weather often doesn't cooperate, but it's a rare and beautiful environment.  i see wildlife and ice formations that i don't see any other time of year, the people you see up high in the winter are on the whole a hardier and more experienced bunch, which i usually like, and ice/snow travel presents some fun opportunities and nice challenges. 

4:10 p.m. on September 27, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

they all have something to recommend them, and i really like the change of seasons.  one reason i love being out year-round is to experience how the same trail varies.

but, winter is my favorite, especially on the heights.  yes, it's cold, the gear is heavy, and the weather often doesn't cooperate, but it's a rare and beautiful environment.  i see wildlife and ice formations that i don't see any other time of year, the people you see up high in the winter are on the whole a hardier and more experienced bunch, which i usually like, and ice/snow travel presents some fun opportunities and nice challenges. 

I couldn't agree more. Not to mention there is a substantial decrease as far as traffic goes when the temps drop.

9:35 a.m. on September 28, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
155 forum posts

I am with you all on Winter. That's a season I love as well. I've always loved getting out during that time, especially here in Tennessee. December and even January can be fickle and you can sometimes get temps in the 70's during those months. Although, I have to admit the last two winters have been surprisingly snowy and cold. But at the same time, I took advantage of that this last winter. I went on my first "snow" hike and it was incredible. My buddies and I went up to the Smokies and our trip just happened to coincide with a big winter storm that dumped about a foot of snow up in the mountains. We were on edge all that week because we were snowed in, but the day before the city came by, salted the roads and by the time we went up there, the snow and ice were off the roads, but there was still plenty of snow on the ground.

We went into Cades Cove and hiked up to Spencefield in the Smokies. I have to say it was one of the best overnights of my life. It's in my top two. The only other one I would say was that incredible was an overnight I did when I was in high school that was back up to Spencefield that was in the, guess, fall. lol.

But that trip last January walking through the snow was just legendary in my mind. Snow hung off the branches, the views were incredible and you had this feeling you were walking through Narnia. I almost expected a talking horse to appear with horns.

We're already talking about another snow trip this year. That's definitely turned into a traditional winter trip for me.

11:05 a.m. on September 28, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Grew up in northern Wisconsin, loved to go out in the winter after a big storm.  I would snowshoe for miles.  Like diamonds everywhere.  That was like a dream.  Sooooo quiet.  Man I miss that!

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply