John Muir of San Diego County has died, Jerry Schad

2:02 p.m. on October 2, 2011 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

Jerry Schad made a series of books called Afoot & Afield in San Diego County, Orange County, and Los Angles County, also 101 Hikes in Southern California.  These books got me started hiking in the San Diego area, he explains all the hikes with what you can expect, see, plants types and any other information needed.  He provides maps of the trails, list topo names and other maps.  The hikes are given easy, moderate and strenuous.  Some of the trails like cactus to clouds are 18 miles long with 10000 foot climbs.  I feel Jerry Schad was the Day Hiker of all Day hikers.  He did the Rim to Rim at the Grand Canyon in 4 hours, has run sub 24 hour 100 mile runs, and 300 plus mile bike rides in less than 24 hours.  He will be miss in SoCal. 

http://www.mercurynews.com/obituaries/ci_18977438

12:52 a.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Mike, I'm sorry for the loss of someone who was obviously a friend of yours.  Jerry sounds like someone who loved life and was thought well of--no one could do better.  Sincere regards and thanks for sharing Jerry's good example!

9:11 a.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

He was a friend of all SoCal, I know there are many good books out there, but this is the one that got me started and I have not stop.

September 22, 2014
Quick Reply