About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

70 state parks closed in CA

4:04 p.m. on October 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Due to budget woes in the state of CA here is a link to a list of all the closed state parks in the state co CA. From what I read it means that all support facilities are closed such as camping and campgrounds, trash removal, toilets and or showers, trash removel and any other thing that is required and supprted by state funds in the listed state parks. All other state parks are open and running as they should at this time.  I have not seen nor read anywhere if in fact the affected state parks are closed to hiking or just spending time there. Please remember that this does not affect National Parks and or National Forest. It seems the Fed is immune from running in the Red while States are not. With that being said there is a mix of state and federal taxes that are used in regards to the management of some lands that are state owned but receive federal funds as well as some BLM lands.

http://my.calparks.org/site/PageServer?pagename=2011ParkClosures

There is much to be read regarding this if you Google "State park closures CA"

This might be the time to head to CA as when people read the headlines many start to think that everything is shut down and my guess is that during this time of the off season there will be much solicitude to be had in CA in state parks. I'm currently planning a trip down the coast to the Redwoods with Mogh and my cat. My cat, "The Sweetness", has not been on a trip since the great motorcycle trip he took with me 6 years ago from OH to San Fran and up the coast thru the Redwoods and then home.

7:41 p.m. on October 23, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

The link is to the originally proposed list. Since then, the closings have been delayed, plus a number of community volunteer groups have stepped up to keep certain ones of the parks open at least partially or part time. In two cases that I know of, an adjacent National Park will be maintaining the State Park facility. There is legislation in process to allow this. On the other hand, BLM is closing off access to several of their lands.

8:21 p.m. on October 25, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

If somebody can come up with a list it would be of great use to me. As I'm going to be traveling down 101 to LA for Christmas to visit my son.

9:01 p.m. on October 25, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

My understanding is that any closures will be done in February, and that the question of citizen volunteer groups is still in the legislature.

From the California State Parks Foundation:

The latest budget cut to state parks in May 2011 was the final blow to the state parks system as we know it. California State Parks can no longer afford to maintain the parks we already have. They made the difficult decision to close 70 of our 278 state parks in order to meet the stifling budget restrictions. That means 25% of our state parks system will be closed to the public by July 1, 2012.

I would suggest that before your trip, you join the California State Parks Foundation. Membership gets you free entrance to the parks or a reduced fee, depending on what level you join (the sample gets 7 day-use passes to 200 parks and a discount on camping reservations, with increasing amounts for higher levels).

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply