About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Southbounders movie...

5:21 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I was recently told about a film that has flown under my radar since its release a few years back...

The movie is called Southbounders and was written/directed by an AT thru-hiker.

It chronicles a female as she sets off on a solo thru-hike of the AT SOBO.

I thought it was a pretty good film and I wanted to share it here with others that may be unaware of its existence. 

There is a bit too be learned from the film as far as what thru-hiking entails, a bit in regards to gear selection, and the story line isn't that bad either. 

Here is a link to the film:

http://www.southbounders.com/traditional.htm

Hope ya enjoy it. 

6:49 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

Rick there's about 3 different AT films out and about. I plan on purchaseing all of them and starting a backpacking library of films for members to borrow. presentlly the Appalachian Trail Conservacy is running their documentary in Certain theators nationwide. Richmoind  I think would be November 1st week. But if you know who Lion king is a long trail hiker did a documentary a few years ago about the AT. Heard it was good as well.Also the Documentary channel is running Trail Angels about Trail angel Mary and others.Very good to watch on Doc channel if you have it. Thanks for bringng the topic up about backpacking movies. I watched one on the CDT and it has made me want to do the  Triple crown personally. and more. Like the BMT> longtrail you hike AS well. Southbounders hass been featured at Trail days in Damascus when it was released. many to lisst to see..LOL

7:16 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
571 forum posts

Never heard of it. I expected it to be a documentary after reading your description but its not. Looks kinda cool!

7:31 p.m. on October 28, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Yeah, its an actual movie. I liked it alot. Figured some others may find it interesting. I like the fact that it was written/directed by someone who has been there, done that.

12:15 a.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

denis daly said:

Rick there's about 3 different AT films out and about. I plan on purchaseing all of them and starting a backpacking library of films for members to borrow...

Trailspace.com may not be able to accommodate this gesture, as such activity usually requires a copyright release.

Ed

2:07 a.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Trailspace.com may not be able to accommodate this gesture, as such activity usually requires a copyright release.

Ed

Very valid point Ed.

3:19 a.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

I and most likely my girlfriend will like this.  Many thanks.

6:02 a.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

whomeworry said:

denis daly said:

Rick there's about 3 different AT films out and about. I plan on purchaseing all of them and starting a backpacking library of films for members to borrow...

Ed

I thoughjt iff you charge or have public display thats copyright innfringment.I am saying lend the movie to the privacy of someone's home.  That would be person to person and wouldn't violate any cllause I believe. I just want to give back to the community thats given me much more than I can express.

8:19 a.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

denis daly said:

..I am saying lend the movie to the privacy of someone's home.  That would be person to person and wouldn't violate any cllause I believe.

This would be ok provided:

1. It is the original copy that gets shared.
  2. No physical copies are made that end up in others' ownership, or in circulation primarily to facilitate sharing.
  3. Sharing cannot be facilitated via circulation through the internet, streamed, or in a downloadable format.
  4. Other restrictions may apply.

So just curious, how do you intend to let the world know of your library?

Ed

9:00 a.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

There are several good documentaries about hiking the AT as well as other famous trails.

I have watched the Southbounders film, I found it very interesting.

I used to section hike on the AT, and mostly SOBO, probably because I have an affinity for being unconventional.

9:16 a.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

whomeworry said:

denis daly said:

..I am saying lend the movie to the privacy of someone's home.  That would be person to person and wouldn't violate any cllause I believe.

This would be ok provided:

1. It is the original copy that gets shared.
  2. No physical copies are made that end up in others' ownership, or in circulation primarily to facilitate sharing.
  3. Sharing cannot be facilitated via circulation through the internet, streamed, or in a downloadable format.
  4. Other restrictions may apply.

So just curious, how do you intend to let the world know of your library?

Ed

ed would personal PM and a list of movies violate the circulation? Curiouse about that and it would be open to only Trailspacers in good standing.  IE active in participation with na certain number of posts.

12:02 p.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Saw the movie on NetFlix several months ago.  Not the greatest movie ever but it held my attention and seemed to be fairly realistic. I'm glad I didn't run into anybody wearing their happy hippy hiking suits on my short trip on the AT.

As for the trailspace movie library, I think all you would have to purchase is the versions that block buster and netflix purchase for their rental businesses.  If you've ever lost one of their movies and had to pay for it you probably noticed it cost more than the one on the shelf. This is because of the difference in the license they get.

1:29 p.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Oooh any chance we can get those flicks on beta?

1:32 p.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I saw this movie a while back, I think also on NetFlix also, it was interesting, not a Great movie but still fun to watch.  I don't remember the characters names but I think the fat guy was based on me! :D 

Dose anyone know the names of the other films?  I saw a net movie on the CDT, it that the one you (Denis) are talking about? 

Wolfman

2:38 p.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

@ocalacomputerguy. Thank you didn't know that going to have to check with how the libraries do it. License wise.

Wolfman saw the Documentary "The Walkumentary" and donated. It was well done and made me really excited to know more and do more.

5:50 p.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

denis daly said:

..would personal PM and a list of movies violate the circulation?...

Lists are no issue; just that usually this kind of service would have a obvious place to locate it, similar to the way one finds the gear reviews on this web site.  The question I would have is if a newbie came along after your library was set up, how would they become aware of your library, and how to check out items?

Ed

7:57 p.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

I think libraries are exempt. Not sure if it's because they don't charge or an exception in copyright law. I don't think it is illegal to loan a movie to your friend.  I think it is when you do something to make a profit or somehow deprive the owner of the copyright a profit.   I think the key would be to get "official" library status.

8:49 p.m. on October 29, 2011 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,046 forum posts

whomeworry said:

denis daly said:

..would personal PM and a list of movies violate the circulation?...

Lists are no issue; just that usually this kind of service would have a obvious place to locate it, similar to the way one finds the gear reviews on this web site.  The question I would have is if a newbie came along after your library was set up, how would they become aware of your library, and how to check out items?

Ed

Ed you make great points and I learned along time ago if you dont have the aswer ask someone who might. You own a business how would you do it? You had to build that.Askinmg you because you may have an answer.How about putting it like Dave has the offtopic section.I'd have to ask Dave and alicia to add a Refrence videography section for members in good standing.

@Ocalacomputerguy. I agree copyright is their to protect the initial party who created it. I would want documentoor's and screenwriters etc to get their cost recouped. I have friends in the film business. It's hard to recoup all of it at times. Also your making some great points and bringing a great perspective to this.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply