New to Trailspace

12:36 a.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Howdy, just joined to have another place to see what is going on in the woods.  I live in the mountains of northern California, about an hour south of Lassen VNP, mostly solo bp, lately this winter single overnighters to get some use of my classic stove collection.  Been bping since the early '70's starting out in Nevada's Ruby Mts. and moving on to Desolation Wilderness in CA.

The group I usually bp with the last eight years are doing the Facebook thing and a couple of us guys are resisting that, so I am back to solo trips for the most part, although a week ago, 10 of us who I only knew one, did a snowcamp trip off of 88 in the Carson Pass area of California, back into the Meiss Meadow area.  We used to go out year round when I had better contact with out NorthCA Hiking group.  I started snow camping on my own to see what is was like.  I have since gathered much cold weather gear and have been out in sub-zero temps solo here in CA also.  I can still do a long bp trip, last summer being out for eight days and doing 80 miles and could have shaved one day off of that in the Sequoia NP in CA, going over Kearsarge, Forester and Colby Passes to name most of the passes I went over.  I am only a lightweight bper, working on that a little with 30 lb. packs for eight days.  Sounding like my profile. :)

Duane 

1:07 a.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace. Facebook of the Back Packing world.

12:58 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Thank you, used to dealing with dealers in FL and elsewhere.

Duane

1:13 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,257 forum posts

Welcome Duane!

1:19 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Welcome! Nevada says HI!

1:36 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

hikerduane, welcome to Trailspace. Great to have you aboard. I hope ya find the site informative and helpful. 

I look forward to seeing ya chiming in on the boards.

Happy hiking-Rick

2:29 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Thank ya all.  I live in Kalifornia, but work in Nevada during the week, so I'm only home on the weekend unless out using one of my classic bp stoves.  I'll see if I can contribute, if nothing else, my brand of humor or experience.  I've been over most of the JMT here, but missing a few sections due to going solo and having to do a loop trip, I do not like the hitch hiking part.  I don't look down trodden enough for one class of traveler, nor nice enough for the rest and the gray beard is not gonna help.  Alaska was nice, gotta go back when I retire.

Duane

11:22 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace Duane.

I think you'll find a few old stove junkies here.

11:26 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,287 forum posts

azrhino said:

Welcome to Trailspace Duane.

I think you'll find a few old stove junkies here.

In some cases it is old geezers, M&F, who collect stoves old and new.

11:50 p.m. on February 29, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I'm up to 70 stoves now, mostly older with a few new(er) types, (Dragonfly) and a Caldera Cone last summer before the Sequoia trip.  Love the old MSR stoves.  I have the 9, MF, G, GK etc. looking for a white pump and a 9A stove.  Unfortunately, last summer, I passed on a 9 to another collector, then found out it came with a white pump.  Although it was cracked, none the less, a white pump. :(  I also have a few old two burner Coleman, Optimus camping stoves and the brass kerosene stoves, both household types and the take down ones like the 96's and larger. 

Duane

7:58 p.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Hey Duane. Welcome.

Oh man, another stove guy. :)

11:35 p.m. on March 1, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Has HJ(hikingjim) been posting too many stove threads here too? :)  I've gotten lucky on a few stoves by posting wtb in the gear for sale sections.  A GK or two from one forum and a Optimus 11 Explorer on another, while trying to contribute a little.  Headed out again this coming Saturday for a overnighter, leaving from my yard after I shovel/blow snow from paths, deck and my garage approach, then off with a couple old stoves.  Which ones to bring? 

I've had back and neck issues for years now, I have been seeing a different Chiropractor the last five weeks, not so much neck pain now, but I don't think I am out of the woods yet.  He uses a different technique on my C-1 vertebrae.  At least I have not had a occular migraine for two weeks now.

Duane

12:55 p.m. on March 3, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Gidday

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply