About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

quality sled source?

10:13 p.m. on February 3, 2002 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

I have a Mountainsmith sled and my buddy would like to buy a similar sled. We have had all kinds from homemade to expensive and find the mountainsmith to the best we've seen. I understand that you can't buy a mountainsmith anymore, so does anybody have a source of small to medium sized quality sleds or Pulks? Say in the $200-$400 range?
Thanks
Jim S (:->)

11:51 a.m. on February 4, 2002 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
would a small sled be considered a boat? n/m

n/m

11:55 p.m. on February 4, 2002 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Sled = boat for snow or ice. (;->)

There certainly are ice boats...

SLED = "a small vehicle consisting of a platform mounted on runners for use in travelling over snow or ice."

My "sled" is more like a boat because it has a cast plastic hull [with a cover] that displaces snow and floats on it, or it skids on the attached thin metal runners over ice. Hmm - the definition of boat does not mention whether the water has to be liquid or not.

BOAT = "a vessel for transport by water constructed to provide bouancy by excluding water. etc."

So I'd say yes my sled is a boat. It might even float me...
Whoah I can see a summer "sled trip" down a remote river...
Jim S (;->)

5:56 a.m. on February 5, 2002 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
I can hear it now... dueling mandolins. n/m

n/m

12:28 p.m. on February 5, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Quote:

I have a Mountainsmith sled and my buddy would like to buy a similar sled. We have had all kinds from homemade to expensive and find the mountainsmith to the best we've seen. I understand that you can't buy a mountainsmith anymore, so does anybody have a source of small to medium sized quality sleds or Pulks? Say in the $200-$400 range?
Thanks

These are the same as the Mountain Smith Sleds:

http://www.kifaru.net/sleds.htm

3:08 p.m. on February 12, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Sled = boat for snow or ice. (;->)

For $6 + shipping buy an H20 Recreation SnowTwister at Amazon.com ToysRUs department. About 36" length by 16" wide. Make two haul poles from 6 ft lengths of PVC 1/2" id pipe. This pulk holds a loaded Kelty Flight 60 l quite handily and tracks very well. You can carry your skis on the haul poles while snowshoeing, or carry the pack with the sled on it turtle fashion in rocky terrain. Total weight for sled and poles about 4 lb. More details on Mark Harris's (Swedish/English) website "how to make an Arctic sled" --- I don't have the URL handy, use Google.
Walt

Quote:

There certainly are ice boats...

SLED = "a small vehicle consisting of a platform mounted on runners for use in travelling over snow or ice."

My "sled" is more like a boat because it has a cast plastic hull [with a cover] that displaces snow and floats on it, or it skids on the attached thin metal runners over ice. Hmm - the definition of boat does not mention whether the water has to be liquid or not.

BOAT = "a vessel for transport by water constructed to provide bouancy by excluding water. etc."

So I'd say yes my sled is a boat. It might even float me...
Whoah I can see a summer "sled trip" down a remote river...
Jim S (;->)

12:46 p.m. on February 13, 2002 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Get a decent sled- not home made(:->)

Quote:

For $6 + shipping buy an H20 Recreation SnowTwister at Amazon.com ToysRUs department

Home made sleds s**k. I have made several and given them away. They are not rigid so they do not track well, they twit and roll over on hill sides, and they can dump precious items into deep snow where they will never be found. My buddy is so sick of his home made job that he always pulls my mountainsmith (there's a new name). Now he wants a decent sled. The real thing missing from homemade sleds is a tight solid zipping cover. They're maybe OK for pulling out a dead dear of taking the kids for a ride, but they are not quality camping gear.

I have skied off the lower reaches of Mt. Shasta with a mountainsmith sled in tow and it not only tracked perfectly, it actually pushed me through crud that would otherwise have been hard to ski. I mean a good sled costs no more than a goretex jacket - of which I have 6.
Jim (:->)

9:13 a.m. on February 26, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

There is a small company that makes quality sleds. I believe it is called Ziffco. They are located in So Cal. It is comparable to the mountainsmith sled.

4:14 p.m. on March 6, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Advancedbasecamp.com sells the "tow boggan" at 11.5 lb and various haul pole configurations--its almost the last page in their printed catalog.
Walt

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

These are the same as the Mountain Smith Sleds:

http://www.kifaru.net/sleds.htm

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply