funky lookin LED light (on the PT Matrix)

9:48 p.m. on January 24, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. d, Daniel, Daniel C., Skyeward, Skyward

So, I just bought the Princeton Tec Matrix headlamp. It seems to be a great product so far, but there's one issue which I'm not sure is a defect, no big deal, but I find it a little annoying. When focused on a close up object, like when reading a book, the LED light is a very nice neutral color accept in the very middle where it is rather blue and a bit distracting. I've read comments about this lamp saying how nice and natural the light feels, so was wonder if perhaps there is something not quite right with mine. Has any one else noticed this with PT's LED? Is it always like this?

Thanks a bundle,

Daniel

P.S. I also got PT's Blast flashlight. That little bugger packs quite a punch!

7:18 a.m. on January 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I have the Tikka headlight and the Attitude flashlight and both have the bright blue hot spot you are describing. I don't know the reason for it, but they all seem to do it.

9:29 a.m. on January 25, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I too have noticed the blue cast to the light. It is clearly blue when compared to a standard filament light shined next to it. The standard filament is actually a little yellow. I am an amateur photographer and am sensitive to the color of light. Color slide film is balanced for either daylight or indoor exposures. Indoor slide film assumes incandescent bulbs with a yellow case are providing the light. Outdoor films assume the sun and blue sky provide light. The term used to describe the blue or yellow of light is 'color temperature'. Day-light is about 5700 degrees Kelvin and incandescent light about 5200. The higher the color temperature the bluer the light. (Color print film can be color balanced at the time of printing.) I suspect the blue light of the LED is actually closer to day-light than the yellow incandescent lights we have become accustomed to.

I find the LED lamp ideal for reading. The lighting is uniform and I do not get rings of light which was the case with my old headlight. The blue color seems to make printed pages look sharper, or maybe I imagine they are sharper.

P.S. The Blast light is remarkable. I'll bet it produces more light per ounce than any other light.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply