Whining...

3:38 a.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,421 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I'm whining about the spring snow being dumped on Mt. Rainier...this newest storm is bringing up to 20" (!) on top of the 18" or so that was dumped last week up there...

Last year, I was scheduled to do about 35 miles on the Wonderland Trail. The snow was so deep last year that even by mid-August, only a handful of groups had made it all away around the 93 miles.  We weren't even sure if we were going to be able to do our segment.

Now it seems the snows have come in again on Puget Sound's classic Pineapple Express. Last year's snow seems to be pulling a repeat.

I was hoping to do the Northern Loop in conjunction with some other hiking to do about 65 miles...At this rate, it won't be melted until September :( (by which I will be back in the teaching trenches)

Anybody have a massive hair dryer so I can melt some snow???

10:48 a.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Send it here so we can get out of this drought!  Otherwise, quit yo #itchin'!  LOL

That is quite a bit of snow, seriously.

12:57 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

And I am whining because the snow is gone. 

1:10 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

As of late February, the snow pack in the Sierra was only 30% of normal.  It looks like it will be a really dry summer...

http://www.wunderground.com/StateSnowDepth.asp?state=CA

1:43 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

I prefer walking on consolidated snow to loose scree. 

I'm with Rick, my local ski area is already closed.

I'm skiing this Sat. (Discovery in MT)

So quit whining and go skiing.  I just learned last year and I'm loving it.

2:35 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

get some cheese will ya

9:17 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,421 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I qualified that I was whining!  We would LOVE to share with the snow-less mountains! 

I can't ski -- too hard on my knees... but I do snowshoe, which I have done more than usual this winter. 

Just here in the Puget Sound area, while other areas have been turned into pressure cookers, we have had much cooler than normal temps and higher than normal moisture.

It's just amazing the cold and snow the last couple years. Y'all come this way, and we'll share!!

12:41 a.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
947 forum posts

Don't despair, second gear. I have lived most of my life here on the wet side of the Cascades. Just because it is still snowing now, doesn't mean it won't all come off at once. In 2010, the snow came off the mountains with a bang. A number of rivers reached flood stage, and by August some rivers were below recorded normal levels. If you can snow shoe, XC won't be much harder on your knees. Just stick to the flats, Gold Creek, Tronsen Meadows.

8:15 a.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Whith all the hype about La Nina this year I kind of expected more snow.  Eastern WA has hardly gotten any this year.  I'd call it a slightly below average snow year for Eastern Washington. 

More evidence that Washington is really two different states

9:04 a.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,518 forum posts

Which is precisely why I left the PNW.....moisture.

7:10 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

7 inches of white heavy crap here on the coast. Yes I'm whining too.

7:27 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Okay...I'll whine.

It's too flat where I'm at!!

You can walk for miles and see nothing but flat land & pine trees!

Somebody forgot to use the terrain button around here.

It's only 2 dimensional. If you want an elevated view you have to get in the car and drive to the top of our 3 mile long cable stay bridge.

Fortunately the bridge has a hiker / biker lane.

The only place with high gradient water is the local water park.

Over the bridge and through the woods to the outdoor store we go.

Mike G.

7:49 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Are all hikers whiners? LOL

11:20 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
269 forum posts

We're supposed to get a lot of snow this week here in the Sierra.  I was supposed to go bping/camping in Yosemite this weekend, but I may not due to getting over the mountains going and coming.  I may just stay home and go snow camping there instead.

Duane

11:36 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

Yup, I heard they are predicting another 2-3 feet tonight/tomorrow.  Finally! :)

4:25 p.m. on March 14, 2012 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

I'll partake in the whining... about the seemingly ridiculous early arrival of warm weather to the south.

I'm guessing it's because of el nina or somthing metorologists could attempt to explain. Not saying I don't enjoy the gorgeous weather, it just seems that this years winter nonexistent down here. And frankly, I get some of my best trips during the winter months. Also, if the early arrival of the heat is any indication of how brutal the summer will be, such as last summer, Im heading west for sure. 

Anyhow, If I could, I'd take that load of snow off your hands in a heartbeat.

1:20 a.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,421 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

Holy moley... 2 more feet are due in the next couple days on Rainier. Guess old man winter wasn't quite ready to give up.

Ugh ... we'll share!

2:38 a.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yep, we've had 10 inches in the last 3+ days here on the Hood Canal.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply