Howdy everyone!

6:03 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

Howdy everyone!

I’ve lurked around here a bit and have made good use of the gear reviews in particular, but I finally decided to join up so this is my first post. Please allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Bob and I’ll be turning 50 this summer. My wife and I live on an off grid homestead we’ve carved out for ourselves in the hills of Washington state.

Our home is a small straw bale cottage and we raise rabbits for meat and goats for meat and milk ( no, I haven’t trained one to carry a pack yet! ) grow a decent garden, hunt and gather some of what the forest has to offer.  

We enjoy canoeing, Priest Lake in Idaho is a favorite spot of ours and I’ve done the Bowron circuit in Canada twice so far. I’ve been backpacking since I was a kid but no thru hikes or anything longer than two weeks, and two summers ago I decided pick up a new hobby so I bought a mountain bike and rode it across Iceland on the Koljur route, ( Mostly, anyway.. ).

Ah,we like horses but sold ours off not long ago. I miss them and riding but I don’t miss being thrown! I enjoy shooting as a hobby and cast some of my own bullets and load my own ammo. My wife enjoys quite a few different crafts which keeps her busy during our long winters up here. My wife gets to stay home and in the mornings I get to snow shoe down our mountain to where I park my car, and work a day job in town.  I guess we’re pretty self-sufficient, at least by modern American standards.

Just this winter I borrowed a copy of Ray Jardines “Trail Life” and now I’m a’ thinking hard about this here ultralight stuff.

My wife can sew well enough, I need to see if I can talk her into making me a tarp and an ultralight backpack.

Did Golite have to discontinue the Breeze and the Cave before I could buy ‘em? Very inconsiderate of them!

6:38 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

Howdy EtdBob,

Welcome to Trailspace, I'm glad you have found it useful.

A very interesting back-story, I look forward to hearing more.

Mike G.

7:06 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

Nice to hear from you , my name is Gary. 

I have used Golite products for years. I have a Shangr-la 3 tent, a Featherlight Bag rated at 20, and a Infinity pack.  I use a Ensolite pad, a MSR Pocket Rocket stove and a MSR 1 qt cook pot. I also have two Camelbak 3 liter bladders. All my hiking gear weighs about 9 lbs. I am 56 and have been hiking since the late 60s in Boy Scouts and on my own since 1977. I also bicycle tour instead of driving a car. Never had a car.

Backpacking light is a dream makes the trips much more enjoyable when as the food weight drops off the pack goes back to being as light as a average daypack.

7:26 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Welcome, I'm pretty new here too.  Sounds like a great place to live more self sufficient.  I read The Mother Earth News for a few  years back in the late 70's.  Never had the skills or money to do anything.  Something to dream about.

Duane

7:57 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

Thanks for the welcome!

Never have owned a car Gary? That make you very unusual man these days!

8:19 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Hi! Glad to meet you. I have some friends in Ellensburg who did the straw bale house thing. Unfortunately, I left the Great State before I got to see it in person. (Lived in WA from 67-97). Glad to have you here!

10:52 p.m. on March 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

A big Howdy to you too!

If your wife learns how to make good ultra light tarps, tents, and packs you could start a business and quit that day job. 

9:09 a.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Welcome ! 

1:44 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
915 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Bob. Nice to have another Washingtonian join the group.

1:53 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

A big Howdy to you too!

If your wife learns how to make good ultra light tarps, tents, and packs you could start a business and quit that day job. 

Oh now wouldn't that be nice!

She sews quite well and has produced over 80 quilts to date, but it is all but impossible to actually sell these quilts and other hand crafts we make.

After all, unless we were working for a buck an hour the price would be kinda high. Well, maybe not for the tarps, those should be easy.  

Let’s see – We do pine needle baskets, rag rugs and mats made from recycled poly bailing twine, hand woven pot holders and all kinds of all things!

I’m renting a table at a local gun show / flea market next month and try to sell a pile of stuff there, including a solar powered barn lighting system, a pile of homemade LED shed lights, and a pile of soda can alcohol stoves I’ve made. We’ll see how it goes. Making stuff is fun, but selling it is a pain in the butt!

I have to show off some of my wifes work -

13.jpg

A1.jpg

If you have horses or livestock, you know how the bailing twine piles up! I think my wifes soulution to this is unique. The stuff makes the best door mats!

b1.jpg

Heh, I guess we just like to make as much of our own stuff as possible so yeah, homemade backpacking gear is just the next step. If I hadn’t seen Ray’s book at the library I wouldn’t be trying to get yet another hobby…

1:56 p.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

giftogab said:

Hi! Glad to meet you. I have some friends in Ellensburg who did the straw bale house thing. Unfortunately, I left the Great State before I got to see it in person. (Lived in WA from 67-97). Glad to have you here!

Cool!  We’re about 40 miles north of Spokane.

Back in the 90’s I helped build a straw bale infill house with the Spokane Neighborhood Action Program, and it seemed like a great way to build a home. Our cottage is a load-bearing structure, nothing holding up the roof except the straw! It’s a tiny place though, 20 x 30 on the outside and 16 x 26 on the inside for 416 sq. ft.

We have two lofts upstairs that add to the floor space though, one for sleeping and the other for hobbies – Backpacking gear, a little reloading bench, the wife’s sewing machine and plenty of room to quilt.

12:05 a.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

G'Day

10:40 a.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

Very cool Bob.  I used to live in Moscow and spent a some time canoeing in upper Priest lake, I really like that place. 

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply