New to Trailspace

11:05 a.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd give a brief intro. I've been lurking a lot on the site and have appreciated a lot of the info and insights. While I have not done any extensive backpacking trips (yet), I used to do many day hikes, especially when I live in New Mexico.

I now live in western North Carolina, where there are a lot of great hiking and backpacking opportunities within a short drive. I hope to get back into hiking and packing, and introducing my 2 small children to the great outdoors. My wife has done many more backpacking trips than I have, and we all like to go for local small hikes.

I do like more "vintage" gear, and am particular to the Holubar brand. I do "collect" vintage camping/backpacking items, but only to actually use them, not just to look at them. I have a small herd of single burner (backpacking) stoves and a couple requisite Coleman 2 burners (from the 1930's). I am always looking for unique or unusual stoves to add to my flock. I hesitate to call it a collection, as again, I get them to use them, not to display them.

So that's about it for now. I don't know how much I can contribute, but I certainly do enjoy reading the forums here and I am sure I will have many questions in the future.

Jon

11:32 a.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Jon! 

1:23 p.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Welcome Jon! Western NC is indeed a primo place to live for a backpacker….(I’m your "neighbor" on the other side of the mountains in Knoxville). The wife and I went to Stingy Jacks pumpkin patch near Brevard last fall (stayed in Asheville for a short vacation), I bet you’ve already been there with the little ones.

1:43 p.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Hello

1:44 p.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

hellloo

1:44 p.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

helllooooooo

2:32 p.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
174 forum posts

Howdy!

Hehe, I've only been here a day or two longer than you!

I know what you mean about vintage gear, it can be fun to collect. I don’t have much, but what I do have gets regular use.

For example I have an old Optimus 8R stove. When I saw one for sale some ten years back I simply had to have it!

Back in the 70’s, I had a sterno stove, a canvas rucksack and a cotton sleeping bag. But one of my older brothers had a really nice outfit, he had a down sleeping bag, a nylon backpack with a frame no less, and this neat stove in its own little blue box!

How I coveted that stove! Of course I’d try to sneak it out of his closet and play with it, and of course hed’ kick my butt when he caught me!

Years passed, and for decades I contentedly roared away with an MRS Wisperlight I got in 1985.

But when I finally came across an 8R I naturally had to have it.

Two years back I took a cycle trip across Iceland. Gearing up for the journey I realized I couldn’t transport stove fuel on an airline, and the availability of white gas and propane canisters in a country half the size of England with a population of only 250,000 was hit or miss at best, so I figured I better take a stove that would run on automotive gasoline, the most widely available fuel of all.

Extensive experimenting revealed that my 8R would happily roar away on unleaded gas, so that is the stove that traveled with me across Iceland all the way to Grimsey island on the arctic circle.

Not a great photo but there I am in Iceland, cooking over my 8R while in the foreground salmon simmers on my partners propane stove.
DSC01932.jpg

At one point in the interior desert of Iceland I ran out stove fuel, but I found an abandoned gas can that contained a cupful of nasty, stale old fuel. The 8R ran fine on it and I could cook for another day!

th_MOV02240GotGas.jpg

So those old stoves are not only fun to collect, they are also usefull!

I'm still looking for a Svea 123. What have you got in your collection?

10:45 p.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Welcome to trailspace.

I hesitate to call it a collection,

Call it a collection and yourself a collector otherwise it's a hoard and you're a hoarder!

10:16 a.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,991 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, Holubar and EtdBob!

9:50 a.m. on March 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi. Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Patman: yes, great area. I feel like I have not been able to take advantage of the area as much as I would like, and am looking forward to getting out more this spring and summer. It seems to me that I have found the easily accessible local trails and camping, but I really want to get a little more "into" the parks. I may send you a PM to tap into your knowledge of the area between you and me. I can't remember where we went for pumpkins this year, but the kids had fun.

Callahan: hello.

Ocalacomputerguy: I still don't consider my stoves a collection. More like a gathering of friends. I know people with more hiking boots than I have stoves, and I don't consider them to be collectors. In my non-collection, I have the following stoves (at this time).

Radius 43 (kerosene), Radius 43B (white gas/Coleman fuel), Radius 46 (white gas/Coleman fuel), Primus 71 (white gas/Coleman fuel), the obligatory Sievert SVEA 123, Coleman 502 (white gas/Coleman fuel), and two Coleman 2 burner stoves-- 4F and 417B.

So thanks again, looking forward to reading more on the site.

Jon

10:49 a.m. on March 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

What town are you near in Western NC?  My grandfather lived south of Brevard.

10:53 a.m. on March 22, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

WELCOME!

12:09 p.m. on March 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

I am in West Asheville. I'm about 15 minutes from the nearest Blue Ridge Parkway entrance, and about 15 minutes from the Bent Creek Experimental Forest (where I do the majority of my local hiking/walking).

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply