Tough week in Norway

1:27 p.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
754 reviewer rep
679 forum posts

Yesterday (Tuesday 20 March) afternoon, after an intensive search, the body of a German skier was found and recovered in the Trollheimen mountains near Trondheim. Here's some of what I've learned from the newspaper. On their way to a small hut on Sunday, in fair weather, his partner slipped on an icy slope and was injured. They managed to get her to the hut, but left most of their gear at the accident site. AT 8 PM he left the hut to retrieve their equipment, about 1.2 km from the hut. The weather turned bad shortly after he left, and he failed to return. The reports so far are incomplete, but I think his partner must have left the hut on Tuesday morning, found the abandoned equipment including her cell phone and called for help. He apparently had found the gear and spent some time in a sleeping bag, but then abandoned it and put on skis and moved only a few hundred meters to where he was found, inadequately dressed (sounds like hypothermia). The victim worked in one of the departments at my university.

Over the weekend, five skiers in a French/Swiss group were killed by an avalanche in Troms in northern Norway. One skier survived burial, and there were six others that were not hit or buried. I haven't been able to find out very much about the snow and weather conditions.

And late last week, a Norwegian military transport plane crashed on a mountain on the Norwegian/Swedish border, killing all 5 on board.

Now we are getting a lot of rain in my part of Norway, and expecting flooding and increased risk of landslides.

1:31 p.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Yes, tough news, especially for their families.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply