About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Wilderness EMT Course!

10:33 a.m. on March 23, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

This past year, I took a Wilderness First Responder's course.  It went very well.  It was a good time brushing up my first aid skills and being out in the backcountry.  

Well, the company, Aerie Backcountry Medicine, I took the WFR course through asked if I would be interested in being an instructor.  Of course, I was.  And, one of the requirements of my hiring was that I would complete my Wilderness EMT training sooner rather than later.  But, having a full-time job, a family, and not a lot of spare cash, it was a long ways off.

Fast-forward to January when I got hit by a gal while driving my junky Honda.  I cashed out the settlement (the junky Honda was only marginally junkier)... paid down our main family car and put a good chunk aside for my WEMT.  Got work to approve the time away... bought many presents for my dear wife...

Since this story is getting long, I'll shorten it up!  I will be spending four weeks at the end of May and beginning of June up at the West Glacier Institute for my WEMT certification.  This includes state and national EMT-B certs, swiftwater rescue cert, avalanche awareness, CPR and a few other items.

While it's not an extended trip through the backcountry, it is an extended stay in the backcountry.  Can't wait!  

11:08 a.m. on March 23, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Congratulations!

2:56 p.m. on March 24, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

great job

3:01 p.m. on March 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

Congrats, keep us updated!

3:43 p.m. on March 24, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Cool!

This is what I would like to do at some point, well, the training I mean not necessarily the teaching.

Good for you Cleric, keep us updated.

Mike G.

5:27 p.m. on March 24, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
397 reviewer rep
962 forum posts

Cleric - this is SUPER interesting.  I'd love to see a "trip report" about it when you're done.  I think a lot of folks in this community would be super interested.

8:09 p.m. on March 25, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I'm looking forward to reporting back!  Need to come up with a reliable elements-resistant or proof camera.  Might be a lengthy report... lots of information packed densely.  

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply